New owner onboard

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Homer

New owner onboard

Post by Homer »

Hey Guys,
I am the proud owner of what I understand to be a 1954 Sea Queen. Its in excellent shape as well is the 35 hp Johnson outboard. I'm now in the process of making it even more pretty by sanding and sanding, and then sanding some more. Actually its in such good shape I can't complain. It originally came from New York (according to the registration numbers I found) and is now located in Sequim Washington. If I could figure out how to insert a picture I'd send one out. Any help is appreciated in that regard.
I have a question however, what is the original windshield supposed to look like? Mine has a "Taylor Made" windshield.

Homer
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

Here's a picture of my 1956 seaqueen...taken summer of 1969, Rockaway Beach NYC.

Homer

Post by Homer »

Thanks for the picture! I see your windshield is quite different from mine, and makes me think that a windshield was an option on these boats.
Your windshield looks similar to one I had on a 1957 Zincraft. (anyone ever heard of these boats? I got mine from Morgan City LA and shipped it to Alaska) Each window was able to swing open forward, and had curving sides as your does. On my Trojan however it has no wood frame, just curved plastic with an edge covering. No character to it like a wood frame would give it.
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Welcome Homer! Maybe NYRaider can get you some info on posting a nice picture like his (maybe he could help me, too!). I've certainly got a lot of decent pics of my '61 SkiBee (bet you couldn't guess that's what my boat was). And I DO have a "Taylor Made" one-piece plastic windshield. They look pretty racy on the ski tows, so I can't complain. Never saw a sectioned one quite like Raider's. That's a really sharp boat--thanks to him for posting the pic.

Good to see you on the forum. We should get some chatter going now that it's "almost spring." Yeah right. :wink: But even here in Minnesota there is open water on many lakes. Not that it keeps the locals from sinking their vehicles out there. I'm sure there will be plenty more snow to keep cleared off the boat cover yet, too. But I'm getting antsy to poke around under there.

It's good to keep in touch. Let me know if you want to list your Sea Queen on the informal Trojan Runabout Owner's List I've been compiling.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

post a picture...
No problem...

here,
http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=176
Homer

Post by Homer »

Hey SkiBee, thanks for the reply. It gets a little quiet around here sometimes, maybe everyone is working on the boat. I'll take the advice of NYRaider and get an account so I can post pics. I've just about got all the brightwork sanded down and caulking removed. Just have some cleaning up to do before laying down some varnish. Question though, is the old cable steering system legal? I'd hate to get rid of that cool wheel. I may not even launch this beauty though, I have a pair of old engines and don't want to run them in salt water. I have a 1937 pickup that will look good towing this boat and plan on showing them off at local events. Is that just wrong? I used to think so, but lately I have found more pleasure in working on boats than actually running them. Once this one is finished, I'll prolly build a storage shed and park it. My son has expressed interest in it, so maybe he'll take it for a ride. Does anyone know how to figure the year of the hull through the hull number? Put me down as a member of the Trojan Runabout Owners list.
Homer

Post by Homer »

These are a couple of before and during shots of my boat, which I call "Saturday Drive".

We'll see how the posting went for this first try. Anyway, you get an idea of what my project is looking like.
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

Great pictures!
As for cable systems...I have heard of no problems within the law, but thats NY. I suggest you check your state regs.

As for hull numbers on older boats...so, far I can tell you this.
The first number is the year
The series of numbers after the first, is your boat number
I don't know about the letters.
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

I concur with NYRaider on the steering system. You might want to check your state boating regs, but I've never heard of a problem with using cable steering on an ouboard. With inboards, you have no choice!

I also probably spend more time tinkering with the boat than running it, but I don't think you'll be able to resist launching yours at some point. Meanwhile, you'll have a REAL "Trailer Queen."

As for the hull id number, I've never laid eyes on mine, though I've been over every inch of the boat. It might have been covered up somehow. The registration shows hull id ZF39700. No idea if this is correct.

To get on the Trojan Runabout Owners List, just e-mail me with the info you'd like to include on you and your boat and I'll send back an updated copy. My e-mail address is on my Profile.

Your boat looks to be in fine shape, and you sure have a nice space for working on it!
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)