My 1956 Trojan Sea Queen restoration project

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

My 1956 Trojan Sea Queen restoration project

Post by NYRaider »

Hello all~

This is the story of how I spent close to four thousand dollars, 400 plus hours of labor and all the spare time I had during the summer of 2005.
I hope this provides a platform for ideas and education.

NYRaider (Dave)




After many years of abuse at the hands of my sister, I was allowed inspect and take ownership of my fathers boat. 4/16/05.
Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Closer inspection....

Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Possession & Antibacterial cleaning 5/21/2005

Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

More damage found, someone (my darling sister), used a saw to cut piece off the rub rail....

Image
Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Sanding. I used a dewalt orbital sander with 100 grit first then I reduced it down to 350. To remove the old caulking, I used a dremmel tool with a grout removal bit and guide.

Image
Image
Last edited by NYRaider on Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Teak putty & more sanding....5/25-6/22/2005

Image
Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Hull Work. Fiberglass replacement, Marine putty in the transom....6/23-7/2/2005


Image
Image
Image
Last edited by NYRaider on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Stain Day 7/9/2005. I used Interlux Chris Craft Mahogany Stain. 4 small cans to one large can of thinner. I then canned the rest...so that I would have the right tint stain for later use.


Image
Image
Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

After waiting a week for the stain to set...I started the caulking on the deck. I used 3m blue painters tape to mask the lines...7/16-27/2005


Image
Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Varnish, I used Interlux Schooner. One coat a day, over the next 14 days....yes 14 coats! 7/28 - 8/19/2005


Image
Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

sanding and painting the hull...8/22-9/18/2005



Image
Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Replacement Canopy, Windows, hardware rechromed and seats back in 9/27-10/6/2005

Image
Image
Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

Near finished...10/17 - present.


Image
Image

NYRaider
Registered user
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: NY

Post by NYRaider »

I will be posting more, later.

User avatar
Paul
Active User
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Windsor Ont.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice Job!

Paul
Cruise Control

Post Reply