The "Devil" and me

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

61SkiBee
Sporadic User

The "Devil" and me

Post by 61SkiBee »

I have to get into the bow and put some sealant in the "devil" at the bottom of the boat above the keel. This will require removing two bulkheads and squeezing in under the deck, so I want to do it right the first time.

My idea is to use a heavy dose of 3M adhesive caulk after thoroughly preparing the surface. Any suggestions on another method? Previously, someone poured resin in to it, but this tends to loosen and flake off, what with all the oily bilge that gets down there.

I also have a bit of a "hogback" condition in that area, as over the years of trailering, the roller that rests on the keel has pushed up the hull a couple of inches. This means that water that getsin front of the pushed-up "hogback" can get trapped for long periods, necessitating extra care in keeping the area well protected.

It's all marine plywood up there and very durable, but I worry about rot anyway.

(By the way, as you may know, the "devil" is the bottom of the boat above the keel. Makes sense, 'cause this is where all the devilish grime and jetsam from the boat winds up. And I understand that it's also the origin of the saying "between the devil and the deep blue sea." Interesting, eh?):twisted:

Any help is appreciated.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

I was notified of NY Raider's trophy post, and as long as I'm on the forum, here is an update of the maintenance/refurbishing of the old Das Boot:

Things have been progressing at a leisurely pace what with hot weather and my determination that people who want to ride on the boat this summer can share in the "fun" of boat maintenance. My brother acutally showed up and tackled the spotlight. Turned out the cable, which ran inside a plastic tube, was completely caked with scum and crud. Not a pretty sight. When I cleaned the inside of the dark brown tube, it turned out it was actually clear plastic! Had a laugh over that one. It's a good light, and worth putting some time into, so I sprayed the cable with PB Blaster and then soaked it in mineral spirits. Some steel wool should take care of the surface rust.

The "devil" work was thus postponed, because the spotlight is right above the portion of the keel inside the boat that needs caulk and paint. I enlisted the help of a friend who is much smaller than me as a "volunteer" to crawl up to the front bulkhead under the deck and do the honors.

I could put it in the water most any time, but I want to keep it out and bone dry until the caulking is done. It's frustrating, but it gives the job the best chance to turn out, I think.

Ah, and who can resist the smell of acetone fumes on a hot summer day?
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)