trojan sea queen - absolute original

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

charles evans

trojan sea queen - absolute original

Post by charles evans »

I'm new to this means of communication so I hope I'm doing it right. Have finally reached an agreement to purchase a Trojan Sea Queen that I have been drooling after for FORTY ONE years. It is in a barn where I stored a few vintage cars and trucks until the roof started to leak because of inattention. Moved the vehicles out, last one in 2002, but had never been able to convince the owner to sell. Learned that he passed on two years ago, so approached the widow and she has agreed to sell. It's white with that copper algae retardent bottom, center deck, curved windshield, and an original 25 hp Johnson Sea Horse in green with controls in front plus a panel with Johnson green on the dash that says electric start. This boat has been sitting on two saw horses since I put the first car in there in 1966. So that's the boat. Question for now - how much does it weigh without the motor? Figured I'd take the motor off to spare strain on the transom, then try to lift it off the saw horses, and lay it on a trailer. Thanks for reading the above, CWE
cwe
Melvin Chapuis

Post by Melvin Chapuis »

Hi Charles how long is it ? mine is 13.6 and 300 to 400 LB. good luck
Mel Chapuis

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j109/ ... 49bf88.jpg
charles evans

Post by charles evans »

Mel,
Thanks for the note. Mine is 16 feet. Still haven't picked it up. It's in a barn on saw horses, and I am surprised but pleased that these haven't collapsed. So I plan to bring with me a spare set of supports, then I'll lift the 25hp Johnson Sea Horse (green) off the transom, and see whether four of us can lift it up enough to roll a trailer under it. If not, I think I'll try to lift the bow with a floor crane (like the one to lift out an engine) and webbed sling then roll the trailer under. I will have had to come up with some arrangement at the stern to have it jacked up and then lower it once the trailer is in place.
Do you have yours in the water this year. If so, where.

Thanks, Charlie Evans
cwe
Melvin Chapuis

Post by Melvin Chapuis »

Hi Charlie
You should be able to pick up the stern then move the rear support to the balance point then take out the front support an push the trailer under then winch it the rest of the way on. and yes i went for a couple of rides on Lake Erie in north east Ohio Thanks Mel
charles evans

the Sea Queen

Post by charles evans »

Mel,

Thanks very much for the suggestion to pick up the stern, move a support to the approximate CG, etc. I have been so focussed on approaching from the front I hadn't considered it. The stern is up against a work bench, but I'll bet I can remove that, lift the Johnson off, and then do as you suggest. By the way, found the picture agttachment in your last e-mail. Your Sea Queen looks great and exactly like mine - same green Johnson, white sides, center deck, etc.

Best regards,

Charlie Evans
cwe
charles evans

Post by charles evans »

Mel ,

Just a note to say that we did pick up the 16 foot Custom Sea Queen and towed it to Vermont w/o problem on Friday the 27th of July. Started cleaning it up Saturday between showers. It's amazing. Sides and bottom are factory original white over bronze, and the deck is nearly perfect. Only discrepancy is the bow light that had been damaged by vandals and Johnson remote throttle and shift lever knobs. Most of the cushions (a pea green) are salvageable except one that the vermin had used as a home. Thanks so much for your suggestion as to how to get it on a trailer. All went well. I'll send a picture or two after I have completed cleaning it up.

CWE
cwe
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Charles,

I hope you're just so busy cruising that you haven't had time to post pics. Let us know if you can get some spare time to report.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)