Caulking the Deck

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

acimpa

Caulking the Deck

Post by acimpa »

I have a '56 Sea Queen. The previous owner had the boat stored well for 28 years without use. The original 33 hp Scott Atwater has very few hours. This being my first attempt at a restoration (or owning a boat at all), I am wondering whether the joints on the deck get caulked before varnish or after? I've had responses either way, but I'd be interested to hear fellow Trojan owners thoughts on this matter.
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

I caulked mine before varnishing. That was about 15 years ago, and it's held up fine. I used white silicone right out of the tube. Not sure if that's recommended or "period correct" but it sure has held up! (Don't use "bathtub caulk, tho.) Just make sure all the grooves are nice and clean with no old caulk. I think I chiseled it out carefully with a putty knife. By the time you're done, you'll hope the caulk lasts forever because you'll never want to do it again! Nerve wracking getting all those beads to line up nice.

Do you want to "join" the Runabout Owner's list? It's not formal, just a nice source of contact info and a little idea of all the great Trojan runabouts out there. All you need to do is send an e-mail with a short description of your boat, and I'll add you to the list and e-mail you a copy. There are several of us Runabout folks. The "short list" is also posted on a thread here on Trojanboats.net, without the contact info.

You should be able to find my e-mail on the forum, just view my "information."

Good luck!
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

I did that on my 56 sea queen not too long ago. I used a dremmel tool (grout removal bit and guide, which worked great). I did put down one coat of thinned varnish before the caulking.
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Yes, I think it's a good idea to have some varnish in there, just not glassy-smooth. If it has a finish coat of varnish, some light sanding in the seam with something like 200 grit will give the finish a little "tooth" for the caulk to adhere a bit better.

I just buttoned up my deck repair and I like it! With the wood fill, the varnish came up smooth right away. I caulked the edge seam with brown silicone and may do one more light coat of varnish over it to seal. Then MAYBE hit the water at least once this season if the weather holds. October boating can be excellent, especially when the Fall leaves are still on... not much of that left pretty soon!
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
acimpa

Caulking the Deck

Post by acimpa »

Regarding my original query, I listened to everyone's advise and we proceeded to finish the project. My partners and I are very pleased with the result. We scraped the existing caulk from the joints, sanded the deck, stained with a red mahogany, applied 12 coats of varnish, sanded between the joints, taped the seams with blue painter's tape, caulked the joints, pulled the tape immediately after each joint was finished, let it dry for a couple days, and the result seems great.

We did a couple test applications and did not like the look of varnishing over the white caulk because of the amber color change. The white, white caulk next to the brownish red mahogany has a great contrast.

The Scott Atwater motor is supposed to be finished this week and maybe, just maybe we'll be in the water this weekend. Thanks for your comments.
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Good for you! I agree the white caulk is striking against the deep color of the mahogany. 12 coats of varnish must have given you a very smooth finish, and should last a long time. I really hope you give it a run this fall. Isn't classic boating wonderful?

P.S. I've found that it's quite easy to touch up the deck with a narrow brush without covering the caulk, and the varnish will seep in along the edge of the caulk keeping the seal tight. If you can send a pic, that would be great. My e-mail is on my Profile.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"