boat names

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

drbbqking
Sporadic User

boat names

Post by drbbqking »

thinking of boat names my grand parrents were from germany and I was thinking of german names I like so far (wasserhund) the s's will be like the ss the german uniforms wassrehund is german for waterdog..
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Wasserhound sounds cool...
........but you might find your boat damaged or worse if you go with the "SS" thing. Unless you plan on watching it 24/7
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I agree with torcan on all counts .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

Ive named mine already even though it hasnt seen water yet . I couldnt wait to get the graphics on the stern...." QUINTS REVENGE "
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

I'd rethink the SS thing....
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
drbbqking
Sporadic User

Post by drbbqking »

was just thinking along the lines of the band KISS and how nice that lettering looked just thought it would look cool on wasserhund
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The S in Kiss Is about the same as in the SS , and most folks may see it that way . I don't think any one here and 99.9 % of people have any issues with Germans . However May may have issues the SS as is . a very dark part of German history ,some may be offended by it. My first impression wold not be a good one if I walked up to your boat. The SS makes me think of the Nazi's not Germany .

I would rethink it if i were you .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

that's so true....being from Russian stock it would turn my head....as would it most if I name my boat Steel One .... ( Stalin ) ...get it ? and as far as Kiss goes it's not a German word. But folks did see it as prove of the Knights in Satins Service thing... hey but it's your boat...
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Torcan
Moderate User

Re: boat names

Post by Torcan »

Your 1st post you said:
drbbqking wrote:thinking of boat names my grand parrents were from germany and I was thinking of german names I like so far (wasserhund) the s's will be like the ss the german uniforms wassrehund is german for waterdog..
Then you say:
drbbqking wrote:was just thinking along the lines of the band KISS and how nice that lettering looked just thought it would look cool on wasserhund
regardless of your personal reasons, think long and hard on it. As many people here have said already, it raises questions and thoughts that are far better left in the past.
Be prepared for some nasty things to happen, or maybe, nothing will come of it. But why take the chance?

Good Luck on whatever you decide
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i will keep out of this one. :wink:
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="aaronbocknek"]i will keep out of this one. :wink:[/quote
o no you don't tell him how you'd feel walking down the dock and seeing that...
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Interesting discussion and opinions.

I'm of German descent (last name Höehn) and would definitely react negatively to anything that would point to Hitler's regime. I would personally use the name but would forgo the use of the graphic S's.

The message you would send, consciously or not, is not what I think you want to send.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
drbbqking
Sporadic User

Post by drbbqking »

want to thank everyone for the input and must say that I think I will forget the s's thing if only for the safty of the boat. Just seeing the input here is enough to make me rethink it, and i was only thinking of it in the form of the Kiss graphics (at 46 years of age it is still a cool band). oddly enough 3 of the 5 members and 2 past members of kiss are jewish. as cool as I think this would look I do not want my boat to get messed up and in this day and age God forbid I not be ploiticaly correct. Recalling a person I once worked with havink a fit over the word negro on a xerox copier cartridge, I told him it was spanish for black he insisted it had other implacations. I would to this day that would sitll get him flustered.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

do a search of my post you'll find I'm anything but PC..but look at it this and this is how I was looking at it. What type of guy do you want your dock mates thinking you are..and remember 1st impressions are everything..and before you call us PC you asked us.. :wink: and as far as sticking to the KISS thing if you named it KISS THIS..or something with KISS in it I could see your point. But a German word with the SS in it is different...but hey your boat.... :wink:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

drbbqking
Sporadic User

Post by drbbqking »

no no I'm not saying anyone here is PC or am I name calling. just saying that in this day and age even the saying "the pot called the kettel black" is a risky thing to say and this is why i'm looking for input. Heck as far as dockmates I think the ones with the rebel flags would think it to look cool for other reasons than I. but me i just think the look would be cool but as i said i have rethought the thing. I'm just another boater lookin to anchor let the kids swim and have a cold one with my fellow Trojan friends