Pet Peeves?

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

alexander38
Ultimate User

Re: Pet Peeves?

Post by alexander38 »

Rated very high, and it's NON UNION, 2nd on my list is Ford they didn't take the money....But it's Union....Dodge,Chevy NEVER ! Sorry but I'll never ever own another one new or used.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

What I mean is; how is it that a munufacturer of that size hasn't been unionized yet? Not saying I'm against that, just don't see it that often and was wondering if it has something to do with the State.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Big D wrote:What I mean is; how is it that a munufacturer of that size hasn't been unionized yet? Not saying I'm against that, just don't see it that often and was wondering if it has something to do with the State.
Look at Walmart. Not a manufacturer but one of largest corporations. Not union.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I see manufacturing as a completely different animal though. Just wondering if there was a particular reason for no union; Texas, that particular company or plant, the people, etc?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Unions have both good and bad to them I am not pro or con . Would I join one ? Most likley not .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
csnyder

Post by csnyder »

Pet Peeves...

People who ask the"Government" for anything... except for them to keep their hands out of my pockets! Only my boat has the right to put its' "hand" in my pocket. :!:
1970 42.5ft
"Devious Curse"
Sea Voyager
"Ahoy, Polloi. Where did you just come from, a scotch ad?"
(Spaulding Smails)
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="Big D"]I see manufacturing as a completely different animal though. Just wondering if there was a particular reason for no union; Texas, that particular company or plant, the people, etc?[/quote]

Texas as much is most of the South is 'Right to work' meaning you don't have to join a Union to work in the shop or plant, When given the choice most people won't join one, look at what happened in Wisconsin over half of the Govt employees have drop out of their Union now that the State doesn't collect Union dues anymore. That was why the Union fought so hard there. They know given the choice folks will drop out. I know lots of folks love their Unions and that's fine, I want no part of being in the collective. And I'll avoid feeding it every time I can.

Here's something to chew on, UPS is talking to the Teamsters now over their contract, The driver's here in Va. that I've talked to don't want to strike, But we at Fed Ex are getting ready for it. UPS is loosing shippers daily over it my biz is up 12% over last yr at this time, even though GDP growth was .008% last quarter. So the Union now wants more money for it's members and UPS needs more from it's driver's and loaders, Kind of sounds like the UAW and GM all over again doesn't it.

And yes me being a Employer and Biz owner also puts me on the other side of the coin,
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

alexander38 wrote:...Texas as much is most of the South is 'Right to work' meaning you don't have to join a Union to work in the shop or plant,.....
Thanks for the insight Tony, that's what I was looking for. Thought there had to be a reason for it. I had never heard of this concept before. I've always been of the understanding that if it's a union shop, you had to join.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="Big D"][quote="alexander38"]...Texas as much is most of the South is 'Right to work' meaning you don't have to join a Union to work in the shop or plant,.....[/quote]

Thanks for the insight Tony, that's what I was looking for. Thought there had to be a reason for it. I had never heard of this concept before. I've always been of the understanding that if it's a union shop, you had to join.[/quote]

Nope ! The South is a different animal for Unions. We take a whole different look at things down here, Like we'd rather work and make a good living and if employers treat it's workers fair then what's the need of someone taking money from your check to sign a contract for you ? And really what's a Union do for you ? Save your job ? No, case in point. We had a Ford F150 plant here, the oldest one ford owned. Ford updated the plant and then 2yrs later closed it. Did the Union try to save it ? No, they agreed with Ford to close, Why you ask ? Cause the employees here in a Right to Work State (open shop) didn't have to pay dues. Most did but the Union seen it as a chance to dump those who might not help them strike. And I take this as fact I know one of the Union reps that held the talk with the EX-Ford employees. Does it a Union make a job safer ? No, Coal miners still die, there's case now in court in West Va. where a mine blew and caved in, the Union said it KNEW the mine had faults and was unsafe then WHY didn't it stop work ? Because no work no DUES.....
And now as we all know we here in the U.S. (at least 24 States, 26 have rejected it) are about to enter Obama care, Guess what the Unions want the want to dump their retired workers into it instead giving the members what they paid for...go figure..
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

My mom is a union member. NYSUT. She works in a 'closed shop'. What does she get for her dues? Well...... She worked with no contract for 3 years recently, her shop steward kowtows to administration, her health insurance has changed in the last decade more times than I can count (coverage goes down and cost goes up everytime), and the union meetings are basically a song and dance show. Can she opt out? No. Does she have to keep paying every pay period even if she doesn't think she is getting proper representation? Yes.

Its a friggin' scam.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I see a new Pont thread :wink:
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Big D wrote:
alexander38 wrote:...Texas as much is most of the South is 'Right to work' meaning you don't have to join a Union to work in the shop or plant,.....
Thanks for the insight Tony, that's what I was looking for. Thought there had to be a reason for it. I had never heard of this concept before. I've always been of the understanding that if it's a union shop, you had to join.
"A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. However, employees who work in the railway or airline industries are not protected by a Right to Work law, and employees who work on a federal enclave may not be."

It was confusing to me at first too...

http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

'People' that play with 'dolls'! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Allen Sr wrote:'People' that play with 'dolls'! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She's not a doll..she's Barbie. She fishes with us and brings us good luck!!!

Jealous..? :wink: I suppose you'd fish with a "Ken"...eh? :lol: :lol:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Stripermann2 wrote:
Allen Sr wrote:'People' that play with 'dolls'! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She's not a doll..she's Barbie. She fishes with us and brings us good luck!!!

Jealous..? :wink: I suppose you'd fish with a "Ken"...eh? :lol: :lol:
My brother-in-law's name is Ken,so yes I fish with him! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015