Remember When?

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Big D wrote:Wish I could find a channel that still played some of those. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of what's around these days, just like looking back once in a while. Really puts a perspective on how far we've come. Wish you could see the look on the little guy's face when I tell him about this stuff...priceless.

How about the first remote TV controls; like five buttons that actually clicked when you pushed them. Speaking of clicking, who still has 8-track tapes? Com'on, fess up!
No 8 Tracks, but I have crates of LP's.

Heres some Laugh-In to take you back......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvQa-7u ... re=related
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Life before Al Gore invented the Internet .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

prowlersfish wrote:Life before Al Gore invented the Internet .
Careful Paul, he doesn't like jokes about the interwebs. He'll come steal all your carbon credits. ;)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Commissionpoint wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Life before Al Gore invented the Internet .
Careful Paul, he doesn't like jokes about the interwebs. He'll come steal all your carbon credits. ;)
He needs all the carbon credits he can get for the big house and jet .
But hey thats different .

The carbon credits are in the "lock box"
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Boy did that video take me back. Funny people back then. I remember cracking up everytime I saw the guy on the trike fall over.

I still have my LPs and turntable too but now I have all that music on the iPod. Got rid of the CDs though. A wall unit of CDs, LPs and cassette tapes in one little thin package that goes in my pocket. Now that's amazing. Remember the Walkman?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Commissionpoint
Active User

prowlersfish wrote:The carbon credits are in the "lock box"
Still laughing at "lock box". Just make sure my Social Security is still in there!
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Commissionpoint
Active User

Big D wrote: Remember the Walkman?
Yupz. I used to run around the marina in my orange life jacket with my yellow 'Sportman'. My favorite tape at the time was Duran Duran, Seven and the Ragged Tiger.

They still make them you know. They are on the Android platform now. I think the latest one is the Walkman 'Z'.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

How about the Polaroid instamatic camera with the long bellows and processed the pictures right away, and weighed 20 pounds. I have a more recent update (like 15 years old) of it but never used it much. Do they even make the film still? I know they don't make the cameras anymore. Speaking of cameras, just heard Kodak will not be marketing cameras anymore. Seems like the big camera/film maker is getting out of the camera biz.

How about Popeye, Rocket Robinhood and Hercules...."hey herc hey herc"

Was anybody part of the van-in movement in the '70s? I had a shiny black Chevy. Made a lot of trips to Manhattan, Va Beach, Daytona, Lauderdale, Myrtle Beach, the Chesapeek, etc etc. Liked going nice and slow along the east coast and taking my time stoping in all the little towns...best food and people. Gas was much much cheaper :wink:
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

prowlersfish wrote:B&W TV yes , Ice by horse and bugy ? ether your older then me by lots ( and I am old) or Canada was a liltle behind ?
bahahahaha sorry!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

i remember winters in the mountians of PA when my grandma put us in her VW Bug to go down to the dumptsers and watch the bears eat in the moring, then my pop pop would take us lake fishing and talk about how scared G-MA was of bears, then in the afternoon we would walk the dirt road with her to pick berries. Everytime, for years she would tell us over and over what to do if a bear came out. Man I was 5 to 10 years old, finally one night, there was a loud noise on the back patio. My mom opens the blinds and yep!!! right then and there i saw what G-ma's was talking about all along!!! never went out in the dark again!!! times have changed. im not to old but i miss alot of things. I carry a pistol just because my wife is law enforcement and things here in the city are just way out of control. i still like to beleave people like us can have hobbies like our fore fathers and enjoy life!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Speaking of that, I remember as a teen staying out too long to make it back home before mom locked the door for good :wink: so I would sleep in some cozy spot on the street and not even worry about getting picked on. Couldn't pay me to do that in the big smoke now :shock:
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

how about seeing a 10 yr boy walking down a road with a .22 or a 20ga and and you thought , good kid he's going hunting for rabbit or tree rats (squirrels)...now it's call every cop in town to stop a school shooting...

drove my 1st pickup to school; with two rifles and a bow hanging in the back window, now I have to worry about the LEO drawing on me at a traffic stop because the insta check said I carry a .45,
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

alexander38 wrote:how about seeing a 10 yr boy walking down a road with a .22 or a 20ga and and you thought , good kid he's going hunting for rabbit or tree rats (squirrels)...now it's call every cop in town to stop a school shooting...

drove my 1st pickup to school; with two rifles and a bow hanging in the back window, now I have to worry about the LEO drawing on me at a traffic stop because the insta check said I carry a .45,
Yeah right...My 10 year old has the family hunting gene...No way he is leaving the family property with his gun. Rediculas what has happened in just a generation. I have a hard time teaching him it is "just not right" to take his 20 guage to show his friends in his suburban Annapolis subdivision. He has been through all of the hunter safety courses ad nauseum but his 10 year old brain still doesn't get this...also, remember when the family dog only came in the house on the coldest of nights? LOL...and...didn't want to.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I remember the time before calculators came out; Texas Instruments and Hewlett Packard, and we actually had to use our brains to add 2 plus 2. Ask a kid a simple multiplication question now :shock: the first thing they'll pull out is a cell phone. And speaking of that, why does a 10 year old need a cell phone :roll:
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

Big D wrote:I remember the time before calculators came out; Texas Instruments and Hewlett Packard, and we actually had to use our brains to add 2 plus 2. Ask a kid a simple multiplication question now :shock: the first thing they'll pull out is a cell phone. And speaking of that, why does a 10 year old need a cell phone :roll:
I knowwwww...Sigh. My 10 yo has a cell phone, his 16 yo sister had one too at that age. I am totally against it...LOL...but, well, no butts, I don't know.
I know when I've been shang-hied. My kids don't live with me full time and I don't like to rock the boat. A happy ex-wife makes for a happy life. What can I say? :cry: