rare fish

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rspecops

rare fish

Post by rspecops »

I was looking over my fishing pictures and came across a picture of a very rare (according to NMFS) big red snapper. I then came across a picture of some apparently even rarer trigger fish. Can anyone believe or explain why Feds closed trigger fish the rest of the year in Gulf of Mexico. Oh yea and I do like to brag on my boy and best fishing buddy.Image[/img]
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I thought most likely because of fishing pressure and I found this fish bulletin. BTW, nice pics...many of us here enjoy fishing!

SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN

FB12-045

Sustainable Fisheries Division
727-824-5305

June 19, 2012

Commercial Harvest of Gray Triggerfish Closing to Vessels Fishing in the Gulf of Mexico Federal Waters on July 1, 2012

The commercial harvest of gray triggerfish in the Gulf of Mexico federal waters will close, effective 12:01 a.m. (local time) July 1, 2012, until 12:01 a.m. (local time) January 1, 2013. NOAA Fisheries Service has determined the 2012 commercial quota (annual catch target) of 60,900 pounds whole weight (ww) of gray triggerfish will be caught by this date.

During the closure:

Commercial harvest or possession of gray triggerfish is prohibited.

The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a valid Gulf of Mexico commercial reef fish permit.

This closure is necessary to protect the gray triggerfish resource. This stock is considered overfished (the population is too low) and undergoing overfishing (too many are being caught each year).
The recreational quota of 217,100 pounds ww was projected to have been caught. Therefore, the recreational sector was closed to the harvest of gray triggerfish on June 11, 2012.

This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

good info and photos
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D