Saw a Trojan on Sea Hunt

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JimK

Saw a Trojan on Sea Hunt

Post by JimK »

I was watching an episode of Sea Hunt last night and Mike Nelson was on a Trojan. It was neat seeing one of the old Trojans in pristine condition. It looked like about a 30' Sea Raider Express with a flybridge. There were several scenes with the boat cruising and even some shots in the cabin. Has anyone else ever seen a Trojan on this show (or maybe I should ask if anyone has ever heard of the show, it's pretty old, well very old but still entertaining)? They've used a few different boats on the show but it seems like they mostly used Eddy Crafts.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Saw a Trojan on Sea Hunt

Post by prowlersfish »

Mike Nelson's (Lloyd Bridges) boat on Sea Hunt was a Trojan called the Argonaut. A 33 ft sea breeze . There where other boats used ( rented Eddy Crafts and C.C. ) but this was the most famous and last one used.

"It was a 33 feet long, 12 feet wide, 1960 Trojan Sea Breeze (model 346 Express Cruiser - serial #1018) custom-built in .."

The are many rumors about the boat , Like Lloyd Bridges used the boat after the show was over . I also heard he had the same boat as his own .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
JimK

Post by JimK »

You've clearly seen it and seem to know quite a lot about it. I wonder if that boat is still around. Are there any other famous Trojans that you know of?

I often wondered what type of boat Robert Wagner had that became infamous when Natalie Wood drowned. I've seen lots of pictures of it over the years but could never tell what it was.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Only seen it on tv and photos Last I heard its was being restored on the Wes coast but that years ago . I would like to find out what the latest is .

Any other famous Trojans ? Mine , Its a legend in my mine :wink: I can't think of any others . But there maybe .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

JimK wrote: I often wondered what type of boat Robert Wagner had that became infamous when Natalie Wood drowned. I've seen lots of pictures of it over the years but could never tell what it was.

The Wagner's Boat was built by "ALLEN QUIMBY VENEER CO " in Maine I believe ( they also built Bristol l yachts )

60ft long and built in 1960 "SPLENDOUR " is currently in Hawaii .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
JimK

Post by JimK »

You made me curious so I did some Googling. Here is what I found on a website that somewhat memorialized Lloyd Bridges. I sent an email to the address below but it bounced back.

Hello

I just wanted to let you know that I too am a fan of Mr. Lloyd Bridges and that the world lost a great hero when he passed away.

I happen to own the boat that Lloyd Bridges used as Mike Nelson in Sea Hunt. The boat was and still is called the "Argonaut" and is located in San Diego, Ca.

I am curently restoring the boat and will be complete by summer 99". At that point the boat will make many special appearances and will be featured in many publications, I can't wait.

I just wanted to say hi and to let you know that you are one of millions of Lloyd Bridges fans and as soon as I get the boat going I will create a place that all Sea Hunt fans to gather. I soon will post a site on the resoration of the boat and will continue this site to be used as a fan club.

This is WM-2050 the Argonaut out...

Andy

Sea Hunt Adventures presents,
"The Argonaut"
1514 Seventh Ave. Suite 205
San Diego, Ca. 92101
Ph: 619-294-4160
Fax: 619-595-0153
Email: The Argonaut
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

From what I know they ordered two boats for the show and Lloyd Bridges used one for personal use. They also ordered half of another one to film the cabin shots. Over the years several people have claimed that they have the TV show boat and they all say they are restoring the boat for tours. Its hard to tell if they have the real boat or just trying to make money. I am sure that a lot of people named their boat "Argonaut" in the 60's because of the popularity of the show.

This info is just what I have dug up for a book and I have no way of confirming it.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)