Well here you go, a 50 ft Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

trojan 50

Post by aaronbocknek »

sad, really really sad.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

Crew available for deliveries of classic 50 foot trojans....will swab decks, open beers,clean heads,and walk nasty little pooches...
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Quote :

" Salt being a natural preservative, salt water boats will last almost indefinately with proper attention and very low maintainance. "

I disagree. Salt water helps But IMO proper attention = lots of maintainance

I love wood boats but they are a lot of work . must be hauled and paint yearly or you could get worms fasseners can need to replace from time to time . its a lot of work to rescrew ( or renail ) a bottom .

There is nothing like a wood boat .But it takes a strong commitment of time and money . some people can do this most can not . I have had sevral wood boats . I like them all and they all needed consent work it was fun at the time . Will I every get another wood boat ? maybe when I retire and I have the time
Last edited by prowlersfish on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

If you go to Edwards boat yard, for those of you who know where it is, you will see a boat with the name Dark Horse on the transom. I had a conversation with this gentleman, a few years back, when my best friend bought a Chris Craft that he used to own. Seems he owned a wooden boat, a few years before that, an Owens I believe. Anyway, nasty divorce with wife who wanted the boat. He cut it up with a chain saw, loaded it into a dumpster, stood atop the dumpster, dropped his pants and had someone take a picture(MOON.) Sent picture to X wife with a note."Here's your boat" !!!!

John
F-31 Trojan
Galloway Creek Marina
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You want to see some Nice old boats ?

http://www.classicyachtmag.com
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

john (mtwolf) is the boat still at edwards? you know i'm at parkside just 'down river' from edwards. i would love to see her. and, since you are so close to me, let's meetup at my boat sometime. i would love to have you check her out. i'm sitting airport standby today (friday) then on call for the next 5 days, but maybe next friday or saturday?

and peter......""and walk nasty little pooches"" you better not mean maccabee..... thems fighin words-- lol-- :) he's not nasty, just the defender of the house and the boat.

aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Arron why don't you look at that 50 foot Glass trojan striperman posted ?
Its at Lippincott marina Kent Island .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

You migh want to reconsider after looking at and researching the story behind Pizazz, a 1966 55' Chris Craft Constellation all wood

be sure to look at all the beautiful photos

http://web.mac.com/ivanbou1/iweb/Pizzazz/Pizzazz.html

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/boats/fil ... 65766.html

try googling her regarding the tradgedy (many entries) or take a look here

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/2 ... 067001.bsp

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/news/x20 ... ash-ashore
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

how did she sink? does anyone know? chris crafts were originally built in holland, michigan were they not? if memory serves me, i think this is true. at least she died where she was born.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
AuxiliaryComms

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

That was torture... don't want to see anything like that again.
Jason

1969 Sea Raider FG Express (Flickr Set)

Join the USCG Auxiliary, America's Volunteer Lifesavers
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

The Great Lakes are not as much lakes, as inland seas. Compared to oceans they are shallow. The waves don’t develop like ocean waves. Rather they are much closed together and come from multiple directions. We seldom get big rollers, rather they are a chop. It takes a boat and twists and pounds it. The stresses on the boat are relentless. When small craft warnings are issued they should be taken seriously.

I don’t know how the Pizazz sank, but it was a 1966 all wood Constellation. The Chris had a plank hull. The planks are held in place with silicon bronze screws. Over time they get brittle and can break. If the boat hit some floating object, the force could blow a plank. Another thing that could have happened could be chucked up to poor maintenance. The flexing of a boat can break the screws. Broken screws are not easily detected on planks below the water line. About the only way to find them is when the boat is out of the water, and a close inspection is made. A boat that size may spend winters in the water and get bubbled, or move to southern waters, either way it won’t get inspected. Even if the boat was pulled for the winter and inspection were poor or not done the problem might not be found. If the boat blew a plank it would be doomed. However the Pizazz sunk, something catastrophic had to have happened or there would have been enough time to get help
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Stripermann2 wrote:Aaron, take a deep breath....The costs involved with getting her here outways the investment. In my opinion.

Take a look here...and it's not too far from you!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ ... 89297.html
That's just like mine. Nice boat
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Here's the Pizzazz while she was for sale:

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/boats/fil ... 65766.html

In her glory:

http://web.mac.com/ivanbou1/iweb/Pizzazz/Pizzazz.html

And what's left of her washed up on the shore:

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/2 ... 067001.bsp

There was a video I saw of it a while back but can't locate it. Sad...
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

AN UPDATE ON PIZZAZZ..... i did a google this morning and i read an interview with the captain and his son about the accident. he thinks she was hit by not one, but two rogue waves and the bow ''just broke apart'' and she began taking on water in SECONDS. i wonder though, if she was surveyed before the new owner took her, wouldn't they have discovered rotten ribs and planks?
okay guys, gotta fly..... see ya all later.

aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It could have bad fasners (screw or nails) . With out removeing them it is imposable to really tell what shape there in. On a Coast Guard inspected Vesel the will have you remove some of the fassners for inspection along with stripping the bottom paint off to check the wood . I belive they do this every other year . this is one resone a lot of charter boats stay with 6 passengers or less . If they carry over 6 Passengers they need to be a Coast Guard inspected vessel for hire . With that said the Six pack boats that run off shore out of Va and NC in most cases are in great shape as The Captain's Life is on the line every time the boat goes off shore , but there are a few death traps out there also .

The insption we get from the C G aux is nothing like what a Coast Guard inspected vessel for hire gets
Last edited by prowlersfish on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels