Carb Rebuild

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Carb Rebuild

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Anyone do a carb rebuild on their Chrysler M360 250 HP engines in a F-32? I think the float in mine is not shutting off fuel all the way when I shut down so it keeps dripping fuel down the carb and makes the whole boat smell like gas after a run of over 20 minutes or so. It runs like a charm but this gas smell really bugs me and makes it difficult to stay in the cabin and sleep unless the bilge is vented for a long time after running the engines. I think I just need a rebuild kit but don't want to mess with any adjustments as it runs great now.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
Mrsluggo

gas fumes

Post by Mrsluggo »

this one of those things you just need to have done by a profesional .the gas fumes you smell are EXPLOSIVE and the slightest spark can set it off. take it off and send it to a rebuilder. your familys saftey depends on it
just for fun
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

I have rebuilt many carbs in my time, be careful, as Mrsluggo mentioned, have it done by a professional, or you may be in for trouble, remove the carb yourself and you can bring it to a shop, if you cant find one contact me , I would be glad to help you out , being this is my business,
1983 10 meter express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The trick is finding a professional that knows what a carb is . look for a old fart like me :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

You are dead right Paul. This old fart turned a wrench for forty five years and retired last fall. Caburetor? what's a carburetor? Unheard of now adays. Points and condensors are rapidly becoming a thing of the past on boats too.

John
F-31 Trojan
Middle River, MD
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

what are you talking about (have it fixed thro it away and bye a new one)to quote a friends 15 year old son we just found him a 1977 17' glasstron v hull 100 hp johnson runs and in pritty good shape free with 3 year old trailer needs elet work sterring cable kid is bummed
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

Boom!!!..... gas smell ....very bad
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Just had mine rebuilt, even though I've done em myself. Getting older, and probably wiser. Cost me $50 for the kit and $90 for the labor. Piece of mind - priceless. This was a 4bbl on a 318.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
00GTP

Post by 00GTP »

Randy, what was the rebuild kit you used? I also have the 4-barrels on 318s, and the mechanic who looked at them says he couldn't find a rebuild kit for them.

Found that pretty hard to believe....
LAKE: 79 Trojan 30 express
LAND: 00 Grand Prix GTP
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Check out marinepartssource.com. They have carb rebuild kits. You need to call them for correct model. I've had very good luck getting parts. You should also try the new discount parts from Beacon Marine that was posted here a few days ago. There should be no problem getting rebuild kits for these carbs.

Try this link:

http://www.marinepartssource.com/detail ... er=3745212
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

00GTP wrote:Randy, what was the rebuild kit you used? I also have the 4-barrels on 318s, and the mechanic who looked at them says he couldn't find a rebuild kit for them. Found that pretty hard to believe....
Step one change that mechanic. Rebuild kits should be easy to get... my marina has the catalogue for them.
If they are old I would remove them and send them in for overhaul, they will look like new and have all new internal parts.
Your local marina can tell you where they send them.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

00GTP wrote:Randy, what was the rebuild kit you used? I also have the 4-barrels on 318s, and the mechanic who looked at them says he couldn't find a rebuild kit for them.

Found that pretty hard to believe....
My last Trojan had Chrysler 318’s with Carter AFB carburetors. I rebuilt it using a Hygrade Jiffy Kit 357B rebuilding kit. I think I got it at a NAPA dealer. There should be a metal tag on the top of the carburetor with a number on it. That number will determine what kit you need.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
00GTP

Post by 00GTP »

Thanks, guys! Good advice. Much appreciated.

Might have a go at doing it myself if I can get the kits. I've rebuilt a few QuadraJets in my time, the AFBs shouldn't be much different.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

There a lot diffrent
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
00GTP

Post by 00GTP »

Probably true, guess I meant that the process would be roughly the same, not the actual carbs themselves.