New guy here with a question?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kcannaday

New guy here with a question?

Post by kcannaday »

Hello everyone, I need some help and was hoping someone here could give me some assistance. I'm thinking about purchasing a 25-26' 1960 Trojan cabin cruiser but I will need a trailer to move it from it's current location, the problem is I don't know what type of trailer would be required? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kerry
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

u are talking about a wooden boat right? well they are beautiful BUT...............
wet wonder

Post by wet wonder »

Don't buy that boat unless you are a professional restorer and know what you're getting into.
1975 Trojan F-25 Express Hardtop
Mercruiser 351 233hp
12v system - Solar panels 170 watts
wet wonder

Post by wet wonder »

Don't buy that boat unless you are a professional restorer and know what you're getting into.
Mercruiser 351 233hp
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

If it is a wood boat which I am expecting from the year then you don't want a trailer with rollers... you want one that has felt covered long wood strips to support the hull front to back and also one down the centre under the keel.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
kcannaday

Post by kcannaday »

ready123 wrote:If it is a wood boat which I am expecting from the year then you don't want a trailer with rollers... you want one that has felt covered long wood strips to support the hull front to back and also one down the centre under the keel.
That dosent sound like a common setup? Could a peson rig up something like that to work on a regular trailer on a temporary basis for transport?

Thanks!
kcannaday

Post by kcannaday »

Also, does anyone know where I can find out the weigth and height of these boats?

Thanks!
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

welcome to the forum and im not trying to sway u in any direction....but can i ask u? r u familiar with wooden boats?
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

I feel your pain about the wood boats, Im currently looking into a 66 Grand Banks Wood myself, and dont know what to do, I actually know a little bit about having a wood boat, because I did have one and its a never ending process. However,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, remember having a boat is a labor of love and you gotta love it or dont have one, because its an going hobby/lifestyle that requires you to work with your hands and be creative, or you will go broke paying people and probably never get anyhthing done , waiting and waitiing for professionals to even consider showing up to do the work. So unless your qualified and are good with your hands, go away and dont do it, or buy one that is completely restored , and even then you need to upkeep
just my opinion, good luck with the boat, and hope it works out
1983 10 meter express
kcannaday

Post by kcannaday »

I love to work with wood and this would be a great project me and my family would love but the problem is transporting the boat from cali to oklahoma since I don't have a trailer? I've been doing alot of reading on the net about wood boats and have learned alot, I know their would be ongoing work to be done to keep one looking like it should after the initial restore but I think it would be well worth it!
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

rock and roll, go for it,, I love a good challenge
1983 10 meter express
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

You don't need to be a professional woodworker to fix your boat. look at my pictures & you'll see. Call J & S Marine @ 315 622 -1095 ask for Jimmy. He's a Trojan expert & a Venture Trailer dealer. Venture's are PRIMO trailers. We do wood at J & S. Especially Trojans.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
wet wonder

Post by wet wonder »

The reason I said that you should be a professional restorer to take this on is that, if it does need work and restoration, you'll spend more time on the project than actually boating.

If you're a boater at heart, who incidentally enjoys tinkering around and keeping up all systems and engine, than this might be too much maintenance and not enough boating. If you're more in it for the project, than that is a different story.

I'm more like the former. Even though I take care of everything myself, I like to bring the boat out 2 to 3 times per week for cruising, fishing or entertaining. So I spend about 20% of my time tinkering, and 80% of my time boating.

With an old wooden boat, you may end up with the reverse. My first boat was a mahogony '66 Owens Jamaican, so I've experienced this myself.
Mercruiser 351 233hp
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Don't buy a wooden boat. Don't buy a wooden Boat. DON'T BUY A WOODEN BOAT. UNLESS, you'd like to give up all your other hobby's and all your free time, including much of what you'd spend cruising
gene

1962 31ft cruiser

Post by gene »

will someone please tell me how to find out any info on my new boat?