Why a Trojan?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Why a Trojan?

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

I'm curious as to what attracted other Trojan owners to the boat or the brand.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The first one (F30)was a deal (right place right time) found out how well made they are . I always like the lines of the F36 conv. and when one came up for sale that had up to date diesels in I had to have it .
and I got it . and i love it :D

Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
searaider

Post by searaider »

classy boats....and handlayed fiberglass hulls will always beat chopper gun boats in my book and i suspect many other peoples. Theres a reason so many 30 year old hulls are still in service and still look so good. jmho
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Haven't had our F-32 for very long, but the lines are still looking stylish even today. It's a "76". The quality is also what I was looking for. The survey was very good on this older boat, nothing but positive comments.
Can't wait for spring!
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
Wingit48

Post by Wingit48 »

I always loved the old Trojan lines. I have a 1972 42' Sea Voyager that was in grim condition when I bought it so I got it for very little money and have done a little more work to it every year. The layout, stability and comfort are excellent, and it is a source of great enjoyment. The old wooden Trojans can be bought very cheaply and can be a great value.
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

I guess it's the same reasons the F-32 was so popular in it's day- you get a lot for your dollar.

Reasonable price.
Lots of interior space.
Great flybridge.
Reasonable cockpit.
Twin inboard reliabilty.
Decent built quality.
Timeless styling.
Efficeint to run.
Easy to own and live with.
mrickb

Trojan quality?

Post by mrickb »

I'm still in the shopping stage but I've read a lot and given my price range, the sturdy construction and reliabilty I'm looking I've just about ruled out everything BUT Trojan. I've found several boats of interest but I'm finding myself steadily moving up in model year. The first boat was a '74, next '79, 82 and now I'm up to an '86. Was wondering if any of you have an opinion on Trojan's consistency of quality construction through the years. Was there any degradation over the years (or improvement) or were the newer boats built just as well as the early ones? I've also read comments about the "relationship" between Trojan and Carver but haven't found what it is. Can anyone shed some light on this?
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Yes and No

Post by JuiceClark »

I've found all the F series and International series boats to have good quality all through the years. Most boats get a little more refined after years of the same model...but they're all good.

However! In the early 90's Carver bought Trojan and every boat they made is suspect to say the least. I noticed http://www.yachtsurvey.com gives Trojans very very high marks. But then they surveyed one made after '92 and didn't like it a bit.

I love my boat and have always been impressed with it's quality and design. If I had unlimited funds, I'd want a 12-meter International. I see they even made a few 44 footers in the F-Series.
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

I have a 1975 F-32, and it stay’s in the water all year, and to this day no blisters and the gel coat still looks great. Just a good value.. :D
joenew6

Post by joenew6 »

The 10 meter was actually our first boat. The reason we chose it was because of the generous cockpit and cabin accommodations compared to the other boats we were looking at, as well as the reputation of the hull - dry and well built.

Our usage has shifted a lot more to fishing, so we have it on the market now, but otherwise, I would just keep it indefinitely.
mintregila

Post by mintregila »

I bought our 1984 F36 5 seasons ago. She was exactly what I was looking for. A diamond in the rough. Her gel coat is in great shape and I have upgraded everything. With her hull shape and weight, she is fairly fuel efficient for a boat that size. With the market as it is, there are some great deals to be had. Whoever buys this one from me will be getting a great deal.
Mark I.
ronski

Post by ronski »

I have a 1990 11 meter international. It has a 14,3" beam, and with the delta-conic hull it gives the boat a very stable ride. This boat was the Last design change that trojan did before it was taken over by carver. This style only ran for 3 years. From 1990-1992. This boat is very well made. The stringers are solid fiberglass, they look like I beams. The true dry weight of this boat is 21,000. pounds. the hull is thick and with no blisters and this boat is 17 years old. She is a breeze to handle when docking because of the big props. They bite very well, and as long as you stay out of 6 footers she handles big water well. The cockpit is very large and she is a very good party boat.My main reason for buying this boat is value.This boat construction can be compaired to any top manufacture out there. Even the boats costing top dollar. This boat gives you true value, and she look's so good .
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

rumchum,
(sorry could not resist),
I purchased my F32 for recreation, (I liked the lines, classic) and ended up living on it for 5 years (including winter in michigan). I found it to be more spacious than others in my marina for the same size, in fact others seemed to end up on my boat during the cold winter months (maybe it was the rum :? ) any way beside the rotted stringers she seems to be a well built boat and I guess after 30 years there is bound to be some rot? .

Fred
ronski

Post by ronski »

The 1990 11 meter is an express cruiser,and the stringers are solid fiberglass Maybe they decided to build them this way so that you would not get the wood rot, and get a very solid boat. All I know is that the surveyor stated that this is a very good boat and that he didn't see many boats bullt with this high degree of construction