right or left rotation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Eddie-o wrote:Powlersfish that the way it workes on my twin 360 to keep it simple my starboard prop turns to the right. and my port turn to the left
Not sure of your point , My commen to you was on the engine rotaion is from the flywheel end not the front of the engine .
Right turn on the right and left turn on the left thats normal ,I asume your engines turn the same as the props , What gear ratio are you running ?
Last edited by prowlersfish on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

AAAHHHHHHH...............

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

counter rotating

Post by larryeddington »

My f28 has original 318s and the port engine has a yelloish decal on the timing cover top indication it is the CW or normal rotation. The starboard has the same arrow on the water pump bracket indicating CCW rotation and ther is also one on the transmission indicating properller shaft rotation. At the end of the day look at the crankshaft from engine front normal (auto) is to the right or CW
Last edited by larryeddington on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

prowlersfish wrote:
Eddie-o wrote:Powlersfish that the way it workes on my twin 360 to keep it simple my starboard prop turns to the right. and my port turn to the left
Not sure of your point , My commen to you was on the engine rotaion is from the flywheel end not the front of the engine .
If that is in fact so hard and fast....Then why does my Chrysler manual say this:

"There is one decal on the front of every engine - designating engine rotation. Also one decal is located on the reverse gear of engine - designating propeller shaft rotation viewed from the stern."
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

rotation

Post by larryeddington »

from what I have researched engine rotation for marine engines is determined from looking at the output or flywhell end. I would think normal rotation, given that these are really auto engines adapted for marine use would be the same as what you would find in a car which is clockwise from the front and counterclockwise from the rear. Therefore a counter rotation engine should be counter clockwise from front and clockwise from rear. That is my two cents.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

rotation

Post by larryeddington »

I think all the confusion is in semantics of what is ment by counter rotation. I would think that would indicate the opposite from the normal automotive engine, which is CCW from the flywheel end. But I am sure someone would argue agains that. If you look up pictures of auto engines with fans on them you will see they rotate CW from the front which is CCW from the flywheel end. Another option is go look at a vehicle that has a logitudinally mounted traditional rear wheel drive train to verify.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

ready123 wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:
If that is in fact so hard and fast....Then why does my Chrysler manual say this:

"There is one decal on the front of every engine - designating engine rotation. Also one decal is located on the reverse gear of engine - designating propeller shaft rotation viewed from the stern."
Becuse most engine rotaition is from looking at the fly wheel end how ever the are some exptions Detroit Diesels and some Chrysler. If you would fully read my posts you would seen that
and as far a decal being on the front engine they also have put the on the rear of the engine, on the same engine along with the gear. seen that many times on Chrysler marine ,Really it's not a bad idea
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Eddie-O

Post by Eddie-O »

Thanks Larry that what i was trying to say
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Eddie-o
It was ? I thought you where saying the oposet of what I was . So I asume were on the sam page.

I thought you were coming to the rendezvous ? Was hopeing to see you there .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Eddie-O

Post by Eddie-O »

Prowlersfish would haved loved to be there. but still working on my project boat better known as the never ending story. but loving every moment of it hope to post pics soon. if anyone has more pictures of the rendezvous would like to see them
mpulsev10
Sporadic User

Post by mpulsev10 »

gjrylands wrote:The design of the Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmission with a 1.91:1 gear reduction reverses the engine rotation. This results in the standard rotation engine being on the starboard side, and counter rotating engine on the port. This is the case in my F36. It has Chrysler 440's with the 1.91:1 reduction gear.
Hey this post really helped me, i put a starter in today on the RH side, Engine Definitely spins CCW and it is a port engine on the starboard side. I also have the 79 F36 but repowered with marine power 454's. I was almost certain They were in backwards. But i see know thats the way my 1.91 to 1 BW's are set up.

thanks!
1979 F36 Convertible w/ t-top and twin 454s.
01 stingray CC w/ vortex v6
1989 js550 stand up ski w/ stroker eng!