Considering Purchase of 10.8 meter

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rsb

Considering Purchase of 10.8 meter

Post by rsb »

I am looking at a 89 10.8 meter convertible. Another potential buyer had a survey done, and they found rot in stringers under the cockpit and in an engine room bulkhead, which supposedly came from improperly installed scuppers. This is being repaired now. Can a follow up survey tell how well the repairs were made after its all put back together? Also, is this a common problem on this model? The rest of the boat reportedly surveyed ok, but what other things should I look out for with this model? Do thesae boatd have cored hulls or solid fiberglass? Thanks!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

10 meter internationals have no balsa cored hulls. 11 meter and above do however it is my understanding that there is no balsa in the center of the hull. There is some balsa coring in the deck areas above the waterline in the 10 meter series.

RWS
JuiceClark
Moderate User

So many good ones on the market...

Post by JuiceClark »

There's a great boat on every corner in this market. I wouldn't dig-in too far without looking around for another. I don't know where you live, but look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0099286191

It's hard to tell if someone did a good job on stringers...who knows how they did it. If all the wood isn't well covered in expoxy, it could happen again.
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

Any boat manufactured with wooden stringers has the same susceptibility to rot.

Some Trojans, especially the F series, have a fairly flat hull from midships back. This allows a relatively small amount of bilge water to be in contact with the stringers, so the skipper must be diligent about keeping the bilges pumped dry. The International series have a different hull (Delta Conic?), but the same problem can occur if too much water is allowed to sit in the bilge.

Ironically, it is fresh water, not salt, that causes the problem, so it is actually a bigger concern with boats in freshwater than in saltwater.

Even though I'm not a fan of the "Euro" look of the Internationals, they are considered by many to be one of the best boats ever made.