Anyone seen this on Ebay?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jerry
Moderate User

Anyone seen this on Ebay?

Post by Jerry »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0349004475

Don't bother wasting your time looking at this one.... What a mess! I have a good friend that has been looking so we took a ride up to Sandusky over the weekend.
I wish people would be truthful when they list something for sale. I realize the asking price is low, but the boat is not even worth anywhere close to $15,000.
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: Anyone seen this on Ebay?

Post by ready123 »

Jerry wrote:Don't bother wasting your time looking at this one.... What a mess! I have a good friend that has been looking so we took a ride up to Sandusky over the weekend.
The photos from 2008 don't look that bad. Has it changed that much or are the photos of a sister ship?
I must admit I am eBay averse.... I don't consider auctions as the right way to get a boat worth having.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

I'm like Jerry, in the photos, it looks almost new? Looking at them, makes me wish I had the $15,000.00!
Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

No, The pics don't look that bad at all. But, pictures hide a lot! The boat was brought up from Florida and, of course is a salt water boat. I don't have anything against saltwater boats that have been taken care of, but this one was not. It was fished very hard and also has numerous fiberglass repairs done so it may be a hurricane boat.
The engines and transmissions look like they came out of a junk yard with salt water corrosion everywhere. Even the cabin interior has salt water damage everywhere you look. Every piece of metal on the boat is just trashed.
The Plas-Teak that he states that he put down is not Plasteak at all. There is, and I am not kidding, about 3'' of oil in the bilge under the engines. So much that the bilge pump float switch had been disabled so it would not pump it overboard. The mid cabin boat does not use the normal fiberglass stringer that the express uses and these stringers sound horrible when tapped out.
The deck and the cabin top also has spots that are very, very soft. I have never seen that on an International before, and I have looked at a lot of them and have owned 10, 11 and 12 meter Internationals.
One of the bulkheads is also all rotten.
From the looks of things I think this one may have been a submarine at one time, although I was not able to locate the parascope.
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

ich....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

What do you expect for the price ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

prowlersfish wrote:What do you expect for the price ?
For that price he was expecting a fixer upper that was as stated. But really, the price does not have anything to do with it. When you sell something, it should be exactly what you say it is... no more and no less. There was quite a bit of time spent talking with the owner and questions asked that were not answered truthfully. That, I would not expect.
I buy and sell much more than the average person and frequently purchase things that need a great deal of work. I am lucky as I can do much of the work myself. I have never wasted someones time by telling them that the item was something that it wasn't..... and I have never had anybody complain. I would not do that to somebody and I guess ''That'' is what we also expected.
It takes all kinds I guess.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Sorry Don't know why this posted twice.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I always take what the sell says with a grain of salt . some times the maybe miss leading but they may really belive what they are saying or are full of .... . its all in the eye of the beholder

Btw the way it was good post you could have save someone from bidding on it with out looking at it first .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

It's interesting to think what happened.

Once that boat (any boat) was brand new and a proud owner took delivery of her and wiped her clean of any drip or stain.

Then the decline.

Every one of these boats hasa story to tell.

Those memories that an inanimate object participated in.

And brought everyone safely home.

Now look at her.

Neglected and uncared for.

What happened?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Aren't they all in "excellent" condition the minute the fro sale sign comes out.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

RWS some boats get better in both yours and mine going from gas to Diesel Major improvement ! and a hard top and full enclosure color radar and full electronics

Most the folks here are improving there boats , sadly go to most any marina and you will find many on the decline :(
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I guess that was my point of the post. I know the auction was about to end by the time I got to it but I am sure it will be relisted.
I don't ever mind looking at any boat no matter what condition it is in as I just love boats. It is just a shame when someone misrepresents something.
All in all it was still a good trip as I got to go to Cheese Haven!
Tuck
Moderate User

Post by Tuck »

Jerry wrote: From the looks of things I think this one may have been a submarine at one time, although I was not able to locate the parascope.
roflmao!

i feel bad for the guy who's trying to sell it, in a way, as i can relate to how one feels when faced with selling something that has problems.

my first boat, which i bought without knowing a damned thing about boats, had a LOT of problems which the salesman (at lakeshore marina in chattanooga, tn, by the way) outright lied to me about. when i was ready to move up to a larger boat, i had a hell of a time selling the one i had. luckily for me, a friend of the wife who knew a lot about boats thought he could fix the issues as he went along and bought it just to play with. i lost my a** on it, but i got rid of it...and learned a lot from the experience.

anyhoos...hopefully this guy will be able to get rid of it WITHOUT doing to someone what the salesman of my first boat did to me.
Terran
1986 Silverton 40' Aftcabin

Terran
(former 1977 F-32)
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

When I posted, I meant to say,,,,like, ready123, instead I put Jerry, sorry about that.
But when I bought my boat just last July, the add said the engine had just been completely overhauled, with all new parts except the starter. It had a new carb, alternator, exhaust manifold,,,the works. When I took her out, it ran as smooth as silk and really felt strong.
He did tell me one gauge was not working, the fuel, but he had just filled the 50 gal tank.

I noticed the oil gauge was passed the 80 lb mark, and thought, wow good pressure. :-)

Later, I found out the oil pressure, fuel, and water temp were not working, and I'm in the process of fixing them now.

But other than that, everything was as he said.

The old saying is,,,,,buyer beware!

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo