REGISTERED VHS CALL SIGN

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

foofer b
Ultimate User

REGISTERED VHS CALL SIGN

Post by foofer b »

Do I need to license or register my VHS call sign or radio. How does this work and who do I talk to about it?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

As long as your pleasure use no. I assume you mean VHF . Now if you have DSC ( look for a red button) thats for a emergency if you tie your VHF in to the gps you should register it then so they have your boat info you can do that thru boatus .

here some good info
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... Radios.htm
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

DSC also tells the government where your boat is. Is this a good time to be voluntarily giving the government a piece of privacy or freedom??
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Yeah, I meant vhf, and thank you for the info. Is there some type of protocol to use when calling/talking on the radio.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

The DSC only tells the Coast Guard and other near by vessels (merchant)where your boat is "after" you push the button. It is not sending out a signal all the time. It may some day but not now. This is still a VHF and the range is "line of sight" so if you are in Florida I doubt that it is popping up on a screen in Washington.

As ex-Coast Guard all I can tell you is the faster they can find you when you need help, the better.

Foofer b, to better understand the VHF you may want to pick up a copy of Chapmans book of seamanship. This is a great book to have and it covers just about everything you need to know about running a small boat.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If I am in trouble I want the government to know where I am . Thans why I also carry a PLB
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

If you take your boat to another country, yes you do need to register it (get a license). We needed it around here to operate in Canada.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

The FCC used to require a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit to use a marine radio. Pilots had to get a similar license to use the radio in their airplane. These licenses did not require a test, but rather an affirmation of certain functionality, such as that you can hear and speak (duh). In 1996 the FCC removed the requirement for both mariners and pilots using recreational vessels and aircraft.

International flights or boat trips still require a license and may be obtained through FCC 605 Schedule E which can be downloaded at the FCC website.

Another issue is the radio station license. If you have any other radios on board your boat capable of transmitting other than a VHF marine radio, EPIRB, or radar, you have to have a radio station license. I am a HAM radio operator and have an HF radio on board since VHF is only line-of-sight (usually less than 20 miles) and I travel well offshore during cruises and fishing trips. I have to carry the appropriate FCC station license for that radio. It provides me with a sense of security since I can literally talk around the world with that radio. In case of emergency if I am way offshore, I can always reach someone. At my age of 62, my wife is glad it is there.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

K9th as far as I know you don't need a license for the EPIRB or radar.

this is from the Coast Guard web sight-

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/othrcoms/fcc.htm

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 permits recreational boaters to have and use a VHF marine radio, EPIRB, and marine radar without having an FCC ship station license. Boaters traveling on international voyages, having an HF single sideband radiotelephone or marine satellite terminal, or required to carry a marine radio under any other regulation must still carry an FCC ship station license. For further information, see the FCC Ship Radio Stations Fact Sheet.

I know the Ham operators are far more up to date on this stuff then I am, so please let me know if I am understanding this correctly, thanks
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Summer Storm -

Please re-read my post.

"If you have any other radios on board your boat capable of transmitting other than a VHF marine radio, EPIRB, or radar, you have to have a radio station license.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

K9th, your right, that's what happens when I am trying to do 2 things at once, missed the other, thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You do need to to get a registration for a EPRB or a PLB. in the USA you do it thru NOAA
they give you a registration sticker for the unit that must be placed on the back of it

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

ALL pleasure boat operaters in Canada MUST obtain a "Restrictive Operator's Certificate (Maritime) to operate a VHF radio. Successful writing of an exam, which includes the new DSC componant, is required to obtain the Certificate. This is now handled through the Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons. It is good for life. The Station Licence requirement is no longer in effect. Jimbo36, P/CDR Bay of Quinte Sqn.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Canadian recreational boats entering US waters must have a Canadian Station license for their VHF.... and US boaters coming to Canada need their US station license also.... not to be confused with operator's license. Station license is for the hardware not user.
Those are the regs.... does everyone follow them :?:
Last edited by ready123 on Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

ready123, That is my understanding as well. A station license from the US. However, the people here are saying that a station license is not a requirement for a pleasure craft ??? Nor is a operators license?? I guess they are not as concerned with communication protacol. Am I following this right? Jimbo36.