New Trojan Owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jhanger

New Trojan Owner

Post by jhanger »

Did Trojan make a 34' Express Flybridge in 1972? All I'm finding info on is 31' for that year. I am buying this Trojan and it needs a little TLC. Has anyone ever used rhinolining on the decks or walkways? Also, where can I find canvas enclosures for the flybridge and the rear? It is powered by twin Chrysler 318's. I'll listen to any recommendations for equipment, mechanical or cosmetic. This boat is to be utilized in fresh water only. Thanks for your help!!

I've added a link for a picture of my boat.

http://www.geocities.com/james_hanger/T ... 8898555156
Last edited by jhanger on Fri May 11, 2007 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
pdm2q

Post by pdm2q »

are you talking about covering wood in rhino lining - if you are, if there is any wrot at all you probably wouldnt want to do that because it will continue to wrot under the rhino lining thats the only two cents i can give
68 28' trojan express
Patrick

Nashville, TN - the real redneck yacht club
excstasea

Re: New Trojan Owner

Post by excstasea »

jhanger wrote:Did Trojan make a 34' Express Flybridge in 1972? All I'm finding info on is 31' for that year. I am buying this Trojan and it needs a little TLC. Has anyone ever used rhinolining on the decks or walkways? Also, where can I find canvas enclosures for the flybridge and the rear? It is powered by twin Chrysler 318's. I'll listen to any recommendations for equipment, mechanical or cosmetic. This boat is to be utilized in fresh water only. Thanks for your help!!
well what i used and it is a lot easier and cheaper than rino.go to your local rv store and get rubber roof paint it comes in white works great just roll it on or brush it but if there is rot fix that first
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

don't let any of the idiots spraying polyurea bed liners (that's what rhino lining and line x products are). Without the surface being properly prepared and primed. Polyurea are great products when used correctly. Ask the installer if their manufacturer offers a 100% aliphatic polyurea (most commercial bedliners are a aliphatic\aromitic blend). Insist on a 100% aliphatic polyurea (spray on bed liner). Aliphatics have far superior UV resistance.
pdm2q

Post by pdm2q »

but you still must fix and rot first
68 28' trojan express
Patrick

Nashville, TN - the real redneck yacht club
JuiceClark
Moderate User

better

Post by JuiceClark »

on the deck, I think you'll find this stuff to be easier, cheaper and look a lot better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NON-SKID ... QQtcZphoto

I put it on my flybridge deck and have no complaints....yet.
farfrompuken

72 f31

Post by farfrompuken »

nice comparison from one trojan to another.the boat in the second picture is mine. you'll have to do about a million hour of work on it to look like that.forget the rino junk,you will ruin the boat. fix the fiberglass and spray with imeron. the camper and flybridge enclosure was done at a canvas place here on long island .the camper will set you back about 4g's and the flybridge enclosure about 3500$Image
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Farfrompuken, that's a spectacular vessel !

RWS
Wingit48

Post by Wingit48 »

At the risk of being heretical, I used elastuff from the Rot Doctor followed by a layer of ice and water shield extending about an inch up the gunwale followed by indoor/outdoor carpeting....stopped all decks leaks and has held up extremely well for 4 years running.
farfrompuken

Post by farfrompuken »

thanks for the compliments RWS what kind of boat do you have? we love her very much. lots of hours to get her looking like that. getting ready for the memorial day weekend. going to stay out on her from thursday till tuesday. great air show at the state beach near us this weekend ,will definently be a good time thanks george
splashngo

No to RINO JUNK!

Post by splashngo »

I agree with Farfrompuken about the rino junk. I would not put that on my boat either. Nice boat Farfrompuken and I hope that my F-36 convertable will be looking like yours soon. I've had mine for 2 years now and am still finding things to fix on her. The stringers and that are pretty solid, but I have found some delamination that I have to fix. I'm lucky that my father owned a boat yard in Florida where I was able to learn about boats and yes he had a 40' Trojan himself till he couldn't pilot it himself. there is a little dry rot and of course the problem with the flying bridge having a 3'x4' soft area that has to be fixed this summer. There is one thing that is for sure, owning and old classic boat is a money pit, but they a fun and vary enjoyable to be on and I love the comments that I get because she looks great! They don't build them like they used to. I went to the boat show here and looked at some of the Carvers, Bayliners and such and there are so cramped. My F-36 has more room than a 40' Bayliner! I'm heading out tomorrow myself and won't be back home till Tuesday. Happy Memorial weekend and GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!
Sea Ya

Post by Sea Ya »

Here is a real good place that sells nautolex check there prices awesome!! I used the White planking and if it gets wet it has better tracktion. Looked real nice when done. It was on an old Penn Yan I will get a picture up.http://www.yourautotrim.com/namavipldew.html

72 Cutlass Jet 460 Ford (LIKWIDSUKR)
71 TroJan F26 300Hp 351Windsor ( SEA YA )