Bahamas trip

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

prowlersfish wrote:
ready123 wrote:
wowzer52 wrote:I burn 15 GPH at 16 knts @ 3200 rpm with twin 351, 233hp on a plane fully loaded.
What size props are you running?

Original Trojan F32 factory specs from my manual 318's with 16x15 3 blade are:
2500 rpm 15.6 gph 15 mph
3000 rpm 22.5 gph 22 mph
4000 rpm 40.5 gph 32.3 mph
But what do you get in real life ? with a real load in your boat ?
While running from Little Current to Killarney this Summer I got 20.9 gph @ 3150 rpm. my dinghy & 20 Hp outboard was on davits hanging off the stern of my swim platform. This year I will be towing my 13' whaler and am expecting better attitude and consumption as I have noticed that the stern rides about 4/6" higher in the water while underway. Am waiting impatiently to answer that question....
That is with 17x14 -4 blade props.

I wonder if foofer b's high burn rate is because he needs to trim bow down more.... I notice that boat attitude makes quite a difference to speed and consumption on my F32, with his smaller boat I wonder what variation he will see?
Last edited by ready123 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

Footer has a 454 in his boat if I remember correctly. That could be a reason he is burning so much fuel.
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That should not make that much of a difference as you would not push the 454 as hard to get the same speed , he may do better at 20 knots , as ready said trim could be a issue and mores so with the heavier engine .
but that still doesn't explain the high fuel burn at low speed . something badly wrong. maybe a combo of things
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

My F-26 gets about 1 1/2 mile per gallon @ 3600 rpm with a 350 cid, 1:1 velvet drive turning a 14 x 9 cupped prop. The boat is pretty heavy so the cruising speed at these specs is 18 mph in fresh water.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Paul wrote:My F-26 gets about 1 1/2 mile per gallon @ 3600 rpm with a 350 cid, 1:1 velvet drive turning a 14 x 9 cupped prop. The boat is pretty heavy so the cruising speed at these specs is 18 mph in fresh water.
So Foofer b should have no trouble getting to Bahamas on plane with his 75 gal tank at cruise speed.
Michael
Done Dreamin'
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

ready123 wrote:
Paul wrote:My F-26 gets about 1 1/2 mile per gallon @ 3600 rpm with a 350 cid, 1:1 velvet drive turning a 14 x 9 cupped prop. The boat is pretty heavy so the cruising speed at these specs is 18 mph in fresh water.
So Foofer b should have no trouble getting to Bahamas on plane with his 75 gal tank at cruise speed.
I am going with him so we should not have any problems. Plus I am installing a Chart Plotter so we can stay on course.
Trojan
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

I'm curious as to what Foofer's running for a prop. Most of us with the F-26's are in the range of 14x9 14x10. I've run mine (14x10 cupped) attached to the computer monitoring the engine and I burn around 7.8 gallons at 16kts (2900rpm) 18-19 kts it picks up to around 11gph But, each boat is different. I'm just curious though because his 454 has alot of torque, so he should not have to run it that hard. Maybe he's underpropped. I'm jealous though as I only have a 62 gallon tank and would love to take a trip like that...
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

MattSC wrote:I'm curious as to what Foofer's running for a prop. Most of us with the F-26's are in the range of 14x9 14x10. I've run mine (14x10 cupped) attached to the computer monitoring the engine and I burn around 7.8 gallons at 16kts (2900rpm) 18-19 kts it picks up to around 11gph But, each boat is different. I'm just curious though because his 454 has alot of torque, so he should not have to run it that hard. Maybe he's underpropped. I'm jealous though as I only have a 62 gallon tank and would love to take a trip like that...
You would only need a little over 1/2 tank to do that trip @ 2900 rpm. Why not join them? :)
Michael
Done Dreamin'
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

ready123 wrote:

If he gets his fuel burn right . at the burn rate he said no way
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Foofer,

I would be very concerned about making this trip in the spring. I run over to the Bahamas twice a month (sometimes more) and I can tell you that a F-26 will have a hard time crossing the stream in anything other than 1-2's. You will have a better time if you wait until the summer where there are days and days of flat water. Bimini is nice and close (47 miles from Miami)) but there is little else around to go "cruising".

Take a look at West End and Port Layca, the trip is a little longer but there is MUCH more to do.

Running at slow speed should not be a option unless you have someone that knows the inlets and can run them at night or when the sun is low in the sky. remember the current will slow you down by 2-3 knots on the way over.

If you need to carry extra fuel keep it as low as you can, the rubber USCG approved bladder tanks are great. You lash it down in the cockpit and pump it into the tank with a hand pump. When you are done you can roll it up until the return trip. On a trip like this plan for 20% fuel reserve and size the bladder tank to reach that total. Keeping fuel outside the vessel is a very bad idea unless there is a welded bracket for the tank.

I think that making this trip is a good idea, and I think you should do it, that's why we buy boats.

Just so you know, this is what I do for a living, I am the captain on the motor yacht Missy B II and was U.S. Coast Guard before my yachting career.

I hope this helps
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

summer storm wrote:Foofer,

I would be very concerned about making this trip in the spring. I run over to the Bahamas twice a month (sometimes more) and I can tell you that a F-26 will have a hard time crossing the stream in anything other than 1-2's. You will have a better time if you wait until the summer where there are days and days of flat water. Bimini is nice and close (47 miles from Miami)) but there is little else around to go "cruising".

Take a look at West End and Port Layca, the trip is a little longer but there is MUCH more to do.

Running at slow speed should not be a option unless you have someone that knows the inlets and can run them at night or when the sun is low in the sky. remember the current will slow you down by 2-3 knots on the way over.

If you need to carry extra fuel keep it as low as you can, the rubber USCG approved bladder tanks are great. You lash it down in the cockpit and pump it into the tank with a hand pump. When you are done you can roll it up until the return trip. On a trip like this plan for 20% fuel reserve and size the bladder tank to reach that total. Keeping fuel outside the vessel is a very bad idea unless there is a welded bracket for the tank.

I think that making this trip is a good idea, and I think you should do it, that's why we buy boats.

Just so you know, this is what I do for a living, I am the captain on the motor yacht Missy B II and was U.S. Coast Guard before my yachting career.

I hope this helps
Thanks for the input, As well I will be with footer also. Trust me When I say we need all the help we can handle. Him or I have never made trip like that before. So we will do it together so If one gets in trouble the other will be there to help out.

Rodman
Trojan
cookscomp

Post by cookscomp »

Rodman: you probably want to quit calling him "footer" before you guys leave. He may give you the footer. I'm jealous by the way. My big trip is chicago and lake michigan. I can't wait to hear how your trip goes. That sounds very exciting. Please keep us up to date.
"Knot So Fast" 1975 F-26 Illinois River
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

summer storm wrote:Foofer,

I hope this helps

Nice ...couple times a month. Did you also make the trip in your F26 before you moved to the F32?
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

What happened to foofer b ? I hope he's not unpset by comments on fuel burn ? :?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

the 32 yes, never took the 26 over to the Bahamas. Most of the trips have been on the missy B, 2 to 3 week trips to Nassau, and exumas. I think I would stay in the Western islands if I took a 26 over.

http://motoryachtmissyb.com/