1976 30' Sedan Crusier Prop issues !

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AbsterMcgee

1976 30' Sedan Crusier Prop issues !

Post by AbsterMcgee »

Hi All,
Just purchased a 30' 76 Trojan, I am trying to prop this correctly, have not pulled the boat out of the water yet. I'm running a Chrysler 440, 4bbl, using a Velvet Drive Trans 1:1 ratio. Right now max rpm is 2200, cannot get it above that for GPS speed of 9.5 - 10 mph and that is at best trim.
Does anyone know what the stock prop for this model was? What rpm it should be running ( all based on flat water ), I have a spare prop that is a 14" / 17 pitch cupped, not sure what is mounted, I had one guy say I'm probably running a 14" / 11 pitch based on this info, Will dry station the boat asap but marina is backed up may have to wait awhile.
Any info on this will be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Abster :roll:
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Single or twins?
Did you not question that of the prior owner during water test? They should have some insight.
You don't say where you are? Salt water then check for dirty bottom...
I'll let the F30 owners chime in on correct prop... the 14x17 sounds about right. Could it be larger dia, anyone?
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I assume your a single 440 ? 14x17 sounds like way to much wheel . the right prop would be in the 14x10 to 14 x12 range . this is with 3 blade props, 4 blades would be less pitch .You should turn 4000 at WOT in I remember correctly

But start with a clean bottom

a F30 with a single engine is rare , but one I would like .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
AbsterMcgee

30' Trojen

Post by AbsterMcgee »

Thanks Guys,

Yes it is a single 440, 3 bladed cupped prop, questioned the owner about the mounted prop, the drive shaft was straighted & trued recently, this engine was supposedly rebuilt in 2006, Had an in water marine inspection done at time of purchase, mechanically good, compression @ 115 - 130 psi all close to each other, many new parts on engine such as water & fuel pumps, belts ect... no smoke up throttle or down throttle, oil pressure @ 45lb idle, 60lb running. Owner stated that the hull was cleaned & re-painted 3 mo prior to my purchase, little bit of algea below water line, do not see any encrustation on trim tabs or side of hull, will check the bottom once I can get it out, rests in salt water in the Daytona Beach, Fl area. Vibration free at idle & cruise speeds.

ProwlersFish, That is the same thing another local prop guy told me, should be running around 11 pitch, I will have to wait and see what prop is mounted when I get in on a work station. The 17 P is a spare prop that came with the boat.

Thanks for you help all!
Will post again once I have some more infomation
Abster
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

i have a 1972 30' express twin 318 1-1 14x11 full cup
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

There are many conditions that will cause a 440 to not reach it's rated rpm of 4000.
1. Engine timing incorrect
2. Timing advance mechanism in distributor froze up / not working
3. Partially clogged fuel filter or some other restriction to fuel flow
4. Barnacles on shaft, prop, rudders or bottom
5. Excessive weight on boat
6. Old, stale gasoline in tanks (killer-will melt your pistons)
I agree with Prowler that a straight drive 440 trying to turn a 14 x 17 prop.....is a 'way overpropped' condition.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Abster , for what it is worth 3 months is more then enough time for the running gear to get fouled , you may be able to get a diver to clean the prop and shaft and the ruder and bottom , I am having mine done today , when the water gets warmer I do it my self
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

Is it RH or LH prop? I have 14x10-1/2 LH prop 1 inch shaft
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Abster, I have a 14x12x1 lh and scuba dive. Where are you located?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
AbsterMcgee

Prop issues

Post by AbsterMcgee »

Thanks Guys,

I also dive, gonna anchor the boat in the halifax this week, check bottom condition, pull the mounted prop see waht it is, the 14/17 is a spare prop not the one mounted, just guessing at this right now, can't wait for the Marina to dry dock this thing 2-3 weeks they say. I don't think this is engine related, engine runs great, rev to 6K in neutral, no backfiring, missing, smoke, very smooth running, just can't get over 2200 rpm cruising.

Thanks for all the help, who knows maybe the mounted prop is a 14/19? will see soon, I'll post more info once I get this anchored

Abster
Jersdevil
Moderate User

Post by Jersdevil »

Abster...we have an F30 Clean Machine...a couple of years ago we lost our starboard tranmission. Boat set in the slip for a couple of months. When we got the tranny back in and took her out top speed was 9 knots. We had a diver clean the running gear and took her out...3/4 throttle, 3300 RPM ...24 knots. Cleaning the running gear made a world of difference.
Hank Newman
"Winsome" 1979 - F30 Clean Machine
First Sergeant, U.S. Army Retired
Co-Owner Don Snyder
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

prowlersfish wrote:Abster , for what it is worth 3 months is more then enough time for the running gear to get fouled , you may be able to get a diver to clean the prop and shaft and the ruder and bottom , I am having mine done today , when the water gets warmer I do it my self
Here in Charleston, I have the bottom cleaned every month in the warmer months - every 2-3 months in winter. Some marinas (with lots of tide flow) need it every 2 weeks. Florida has lees tide flow (= less Oxygen), but warmer water.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
AbsterMcgee

Bottoms Clean

Post by AbsterMcgee »

Well I managed to get under the boat today, hull is clean no encrustation on fiberglass, minor growth on trim tabs, rudder & prop, cleaned both, didn't make a difference, was not able to read or remove the prop, also noticed today that @ 2200 rpm ( no 4bbl @ 9.5 mph ) I go full throttle and open the 4bbl It actually looses 200 rpm & speed and kinda dogs out but engine is not missing & 4bbl is sucking away. This has to be a prop issue, gotta get on the marinas ass and get this thing out of the water to pull the prop. If it's not the prop I think I will jack plate the stern and mount twin Yamaha 250's and use the engine compartment for additional fuel !!! :lol:

Abster :)
davidsmith
Sporadic User

Engine no power

Post by davidsmith »

I had a friends boat with the exact same symptoms. We fought this problem for weeks, changing props, checking carb, timing, advance springs and so on. Still wouldnt plane off. The coil had a small leak of oil coming out where the coil wire attaches. Changed coil and off to the races, Ran perfect. Been working on engines all my life and never seen some thing so insignificant cause such a head scratching experience. The engine ran perfect untill the 4 barrell opened then it would just no go any further. Coil caused us to consume many alcoholic beverages in defeat and victory. Good luck
1977-F36
22`Aquasport
1969 18` Donzi 2+3
MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

There is another user in you area that has a similar issue with his F26 and he (to my knowledge) has yet to address his poor bottom condition but continues to ask questions on how to get up on plane and what prop should he use etc..........is the bottom of your boat smooth? If not it should be.
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg