Idle adjustment on Quadrajet

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bobg

Idle adjustment on Quadrajet

Post by bobg »

This may seem like an odd question - what do you guys use to turn the idle adjustment screws on a Quadrajet? I was trying to get it set right this weekend and I was getting frustrated trying to make minor adjustments. The head of the screw is this strange flat thing - no standard tool I am aware will work.

I was trying to use pliers and needlenose, but there really isn't enough room to turn the pliers and they slip off with the slightest movement. To make matters worse the outboard screw is extremely difficult to get to since you can't get above the engine. I kept burning my hand on the intake and hot cooling components in the area every time I turned the pliers.

I was looking for something that would stay on while I make small changes and wouldn't come off every time I shift around to look at the tach.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Go to an automotive supply store and get a carb idle adjusting tool. Looks like a long screwdriver but has a flexible shaft to get you into tight spots and around obstacles. Comes with several different bits/ends to accomodate several makes of carbs. Good to have, not expensive, will save you from getting burned, frustration, and prevent damage to the adjustment screws.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
bobg

Post by bobg »

Thanks alot! I didn't know such a tool existed. The previous carbs I worked on had a regular flat-head screwdriver adjustment.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Don't know if they're all the same, but mine stores the different bits in the handle. Handy!
bobg

Post by bobg »

Got the tool today. It is just as you described with the storage in the handle. The guy at the part store first said to yank off the Quadrajet and replace it with a Holley. I don't think so. His next comment was "I haven't sold one of those in over 10 years!"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Excellent. Now comes the fun part!!
bobg

Post by bobg »

:) Thanks again for the help. Does Big D imply you are in the Dallas area?
bobg

Post by bobg »

Never mind. I saw location on your profile. I have always heard Big D is Dallas.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

bobg wrote:Got the tool today. It is just as you described with the storage in the handle. The guy at the part store first said to yank off the Quadrajet and replace it with a Holley. I don't think so. His next comment was "I haven't sold one of those in over 10 years!"
That's because he's not smart enough to work on a carb. The Qjet is great - very efficient - and still 750CFM wide open! If you need parts - Cliff is the man! http://www.cliffshighperformance.com. Drop my name, and he'll charge you double (due to all the free help he's given me) ... :lol:
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

+1 I'll keep both of my spread bore Q-jets if tuned and put together right they'll out perform a square any day and give better gas mileage doin' it.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/