vac u flush problems

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

sluggo
Sporadic User

vac u flush problems

Post by sluggo »

I am having problems with my vac u flush vacum generator. It seemed to be working ok, but then started tripping the breaker after a few seconds. so I replaced the breaker. That seemed to help but not totally. Now it sounds different. It used to sound like a bunch of bellows pumping, not it sounds more like a grinding noise, like a water pump pressurizing or something (and I know it is not the water pump) Any thoughts? We did break a little mirror and it fell into the closed head. I though I had it all cleaned out before we used the vacum system. Maybe I missed a piece and it cut something??
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

nothing to do but take it apart and check it all out....ew...
Please insert acceptable political or boating statement here...or not... I really don't give a crap....
BobCT
Active User

that's a classic sign that's something is jammed in the pump

Post by BobCT »

it's probably jamming the duckbills (rubber valves) inside the pump. It's easy enough to work on especially if you remove the whole thing. It's right in front of the v berth right?

The bellows will keep trying which is why you're hearing the noise.

If it's original and you want to "upgrade" the new whisper quiet pumps are a lot quieter. I'm glad I did that, it was around $300 and I sold my old one for $100 on ebay.

I also tried to get the "hush flush" seat which is also amazing but they don't make it in the shape of the bowl we have.

Bob
sluggo
Sporadic User

updage

Post by sluggo »

I just wanted to update in case someone does a search in the future.
I figured the grinding noise was the pump motor, so I took it off, and went to the rebuild shop. Well it is a 'sealed' unit and they couldn't do it. so I sucked it up and got the Sealand rebuild kit, it comes with the motor (the new quiet one) and you have to get the bellows as well. It was around $240 for all. Swaped out the old for the new & it still didn't work! Oh well, got the dock hand to help me, I think the small 'o' ring, I didn't have in there right, was the problem, & the dock hand got it in there and in about 20 min we had it up and running (of course that is after 1 1/2 hrs I spend trying to get it by myself). Long short it is working, and it is very quiet. I don't even know when it is working now! The biggest thing to look out for is those 'o' rings. I hope this helps someone in the furture!
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Thanks for the update. So often people ask questions and never post an update on whether the problem was ever solved and what the solution was if it was solved.

O-rings - very important little inexpensive parts - but critical to the function of any component under any pressure.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin