chry 225 stalls under load

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rshelly

chry 225 stalls under load

Post by rshelly »

Recent purchase of 1979 f32 with twin chry. history had very little hours for 4 yrs - old gas - Actions - new water seperators - new coil, wires, rotor, plugs - continues to stall once I idle about two miles out of channel and begin to accelerate running both engines on same tank right engine seems to be OK although it has stalled but restarts and idols left engine is a problem - do not see any water in gas but gas is discolored looks dark like varnish. Idles great at initial start-up - once I throttle up stalls at about 2500 rpm. won't start again for about 40 minutes - idols great again. Some thoughts - pump out and replace fuel - rebuild carbs -? about electronic ignition board problems and how to diagnose. :?
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Check your anti siphon valves located on the top of the fuel tanks. They have a tendency to gum-up and prevent or restrict fuel flow under demand. Common and overlooked.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Bad Fuel or Anti-Siphon Valve

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Try using Star-Brite Fuel Conditioner and then check the anti-siphon valve. The fuel conditioner will change the bad gas to useable fuel emulsify sludge so it can be burned up and help clean the tank. The anti-siphon valve is easily clogged and can be cleaned easy. Could have a lot of rust in the tank that get sucked into the uptake tube in the tank once you go up on plane and it slides to the back of the tank. Might have to drain the fuel, remove the tank or open up the top access port where the float is installed and siphon the rust out with the remaining fuel. :)
rshelly

Post by rshelly »

thanks for the pointers! Will try cleaning the anti siphon. Any advise on how or where to dispose of 160 gal of gasoline?

Thanks again! Rick
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Don't dispose of the fuel

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Don't dispose of the fuel. Use Star-Brite fuel cleaner and conditioner and let it sit a week. It will make the fuel useable again and clear it up and disolve varnish and sludge. If you have rust in the tank, it won't help that but the rest of the issues will be gone. It really works. I had 60 gallons of bad fuel and was able to burn it up with no problem and without replacing fuel filters.
Safari

Post by Safari »

I had the identical problem last season with my boat - only I had 350 gallons of gas to deal with. I found that the additives allowed the contaminants to blow right through my racors and the oem napas. It's a good idea to drain the tank and clean out the bottom with a hand pump. I ended up installing a carter electric fuel pump with 30 ft. hose with a remote switch. I pumped the gas off the boat into 5 gallon containers. I would allow the containers to sit for a week, and then pour off the gas, leaving a layer of unknown chemical gunk in the bottom. I would then refilter through a west marine funnel filter into another 5 gallon container. Every time I filled up my truck (new Toyota), I would add 5 gallons of the old gas. I ended up with 20 gallons of unuseable gunk. I was able to use 320 gallons in my truck, which compensated for the cost of the pump and my work. I should point out that this technique was not the first idea. I tried to have the gas removed and disposed of by a professional, etc etc. It was a non-happening.