Radar on f-32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Radar on f-32

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

What do most F-32 owners do for mounting radar? On front of flybridge? On arch overhead? What are the concerns for Electromagnetic Radiation? Which is better, open array or dome? Help? :?
radams

Post by radams »

Mine is mounted on a pole extending from the aft deck to just above the flybridge canvas
Safari

Post by Safari »

I see a lot of boats with radar mounted on a little platform in front of the flybridge. Very bad - unless you want your crotch microwaved.....

BoatUS recommends mounting 5 ft. above head level. Radar emits short pulses of microwave radiation. Microwaves are absorbed by living tissue and their energy is converted to heat that may easily damage some organs, particularly the eyes, which may develop cataracts. It has also been shown that long-term exposure to low levels of microwave radiation can induce a variety of physiological effects in small laboratory animals. The importance of these effects and their relevance to the case of human exposure are not yet fully understood. Microwaves may also interfere with cardiac pacemakers.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I have a half tower on my boat where the open array is mounted. I would really try to mount above standing level, as possible. The open array is the preferred method for most, as it can receive much clearer than the closed array (Radome)

The radome is great when there is tight spaces, such as masts or rigging which normally won't allow for an open array.

rossjo
Ultimate User

Go up!

Post by rossjo »

I just yanked mine off the front of the bridge. It was in the way - and is not healthy as well.

I'm bulding a radar arch to mount this and my antennas (2 GPS, 2 VHF, 1 AM/FM, 1 TV), lights and horns on - as well as anchoring the rear of my bimini (no more straps!). I'll get ridof the ugly forward navigation light masy on the front of the bridge as well!

Place it high,and angled slightly forward (so the plane of the radar is level when your bow lifts while underway).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Dollarbill63

I removed my steamer/anchor light girder monstrosity also..

Post by Dollarbill63 »

What are you going to use in place?

I have bought a sailboat bubble masthead light that is small and can fit where the existing screws to the support bracket were and it will actually cover those up.

But if you have a better suggestion I would be interested. I still have to figure out what I am going to do for the anchor light but we don't overnight too much.
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

Given how useless (but required) the anchor light on the helm seems, I replaced it with one of the socket type light poles. It gives me more room on the helm for other equipment, and I can still use the light if necessary.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would put it on a arch or a hard top . I have a dome and am very happy with it . but open array is better. mine dome is on the hard top along with the light .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would post a photo but I can not figure out how .[/url]
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels