Did I winterize correctly ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

l7ty15

Did I winterize correctly ?

Post by l7ty15 »

Ok guys....I winterized my F32 for the 1st time today...I removed the thermo stats them disconnected the raw water cooling lines one at a time. I then pumped 5 gallons of the pink RV minus 50 f anti freeze thru each block until I saw pink fluid from the exhaust ports......Did I do it alright ? Im freaking nervous about this...
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

You should be good...They usually recommend using the -100 pink antifreeze, but depending on your lows, you should be alright. If you have a FWC system, and a closed loop system, make sure you check the freeze protection temp on the yellow antifreeze, and make sure it is consistent with your lowest possible temps. I make sure mine has at least antifreeze to -40.

Stabilize your fuel (StaBil) and top off your tank. Hopefully you ran it with stabilizer before you shut it down. Drain and run pink stuff through your freshwater tank (disconnect your hotwater heater) and faucets too.

Winter sucks.
l7ty15

Post by l7ty15 »

Yes I ran stabil thru the blocks on a 12 mile run to the storage facility and winterized all plumbing and AC b4 coming out of the water.....I couldnt find any pink anti freze better than -50 and I live in southern ontario....if it hits -50 Im looking to move south......
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The -100 stuff is blue
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Did you winterize your A/C and Gen ?
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
l7ty15

Post by l7ty15 »

Yes......as i had stated in my last post.....But thanks 4 asking
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

l7ty15, the -50 stuff is just fine, I have used it for years. It would take much more than -50 for an extended period to cause damage. Sounds like yours is raw water cooled. Please tell us that you drained everything first?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
l7ty15

Post by l7ty15 »

No I didnt drain anything....I removed the thermostats and replaced the housings.. I removed the raw water intake lines. I then started each motor and pumped 5 gallons of -50 pink thru each motor using raw water lines as intake. When I saw pink thru both exhausts I let the engine run until the 5 gallom pail was dry
Audrey II
Sporadic User

Post by Audrey II »

I just did mine for the first time too, I have cat diesels but the concept is the same. I closed the raw water sea-cock opened the strainer started the motor and pour 6 gallons of pink through. Very easy did both motors then 3 gallons through the genny.

I blow out my fresh water lines. A number of people on another site convinced to do it this way and seemed to work well, I guess I'll find out in the spring as to how well it worked.
1996 Trojan 440
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

Did you drain your hot water tank? How about your generator? You also have a sewage tank, Does it need to be protected? Also the commode and sewage system? I know we have a vacuum system and I would hate to see vacuum tank freeze. Just wondering.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

In a raw water cooled system the block and manifolds should be drained along with anything else that may have water sitting in it such as oil coolers, water hoses etc. You want to minimize the amount of water left in any system. Any water remaing will dilute the antifreeze and decrease its burst protection rating to well above -50. Simply seeing pink out the exhaust when there is the potential of it being cut with water is dangerous. I would pull plugs to get samples from the manifolds and block, then test for a rating to be safe.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

I havn't seen anybody talk about winterizing the fuel going into the engine. Gotta protect the innerds, especialy the cylander walls.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
gjrylands
Moderate User

Re: Did I winterize correctly ?

Post by gjrylands »

l7ty15 wrote:Ok guys....I winterized my F32 for the 1st time today...I removed the thermo stats them disconnected the raw water cooling lines one at a time. I then pumped 5 gallons of the pink RV minus 50 f anti freeze thru each block until I saw pink fluid from the exhaust ports......Did I do it alright ? Im freaking nervous about this...
You should be nervous!
Without draining the block, exhaust manifold, oil cooler, trans oil cooler, and hoses there are 4 to 5 gallons of water in the system. Just pouring the pink antifreeze through the system is not going to flush the water through without diluting the antifreeze. Some spots in the system can be more diluted then others. The problem is, you don't know where they are, and they can freeze.
Normal boatyard winterizing in my area, is to re-circulate the antifreeze through the system. The antifreeze is then checked at the exhaust for potency.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"