1955 14' Runabout

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bowm0076

1955 14' Runabout

Post by bowm0076 »

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a few photos of my boat. Its a 1955 14' runabout with a '55 Evinrude Big Twin 25hp motor.

-Jacob
Lake Osakis, MN

LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Sure a sweet one there Jacob. I'm sure you turn allot of heads with her
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
bowm0076

Post by bowm0076 »

Thanks Will! I purchased the boat on 10/31 and am looking forward to getting it on the water next summer.

Anyone have any information about what model this is?

I found the hull ID number but its tough to read all of the numbers. Reads something like CX5 199. Unsure about the X as its too difficult to make out.

Also, does anyone have a good source for getting a new windshield made? Mine has some cracking and I'd like to replace it by next spring.

-Jake
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

That is a very interesting boat. It has nice detail touches like the trick built in tables on the seat-backs, all the mahogany accents, etc. The vintage Evinrude looks really nice too. Is that the 2-cycle that fires both cylinders at the same time? Very nicely kept up boat all around, and yet obviously a runner.

Can't help you on the windshield. If it has a manufacturer's name on it, you may be able to find a replica or have one made to specs. I think that question came up before, so a search of the threads here could help.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

What a good looking boat Jacob. I am trying to find a project boat like yours to breathe new life into.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Very nice !!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Sweet!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

real nice rig, John. probably a Sea Queen(?) I have to butt in a little, and suggest that you detail the motor consistent with the '54 colors. You can probably either detail the current motor, or pick up one in Minnesota or Wisconsin that is either in good original shape or has been carefully detailed. (a parts motor is a great idea anyway). The Antique Outboard Motor Club (AOMCI) is a good source, and there are decals available from a couple of sources -- one on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (American Outboards in Cordoba, MD -- still have a website, I'm sure, and sourced through AOMCI.) Ask for Dora.
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker
owzx94

Post by owzx94 »

I collect & repair vintage motors for a hobby and have been looking for a boat like that at a decent price for a while now, good eye!

If that were mine I would put my '59 Gale 35hp on it. Is there a OBC plaque on the inside of the transom that says what the max horsepower recommended is? I think with the steering forward as it is a 35hp would be fine, but I bet an old 18hp would plane her out nicely too.

Any chance that we can get some more pictures of the boat? Here are a few pictures of the Gale I was talking about:

61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Owzx,

Nice to see a vintage motor of a different stripe. Reminds me of the old "Wizard" 2-cylinger 2-cyle 5 1/2 hp we had when I was a kid. Amazingly smooth and quite for trolling and surprisingly powerful for cruising, considering the (obviously very conservative HP rating). I think the motor is still in existence, though not sure whether it's used.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)