Teak Deck Repair

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

LAKEWIND30

Teak Deck Repair

Post by LAKEWIND30 »

I have a 30' Trojan with teak decks that are showing their wear after 37 years. A few spots have become thin and are starting to leak. The boat is in fantastic shape and I want to keep it as original as possible. Any suggestions on how to seal the aging deck? Teak Oil is just not cutting it.
Thanks for your help. Can't wait til Spring!!
Lakewind30
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I recently purchased a 1972 F30 fly bridge. The previous owner replaced the deck teak with mahogany plywood and fiberglassed, then painted with non-skid. Still have plenty of beautiful teak and mahogany in the cockpit and cabin........but lot's less maintenance outside..........

I have pics of the redo and it's pretty strange to see the boat with no deck.......you look right into the cabin and v-berth....major project.
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

Here is a link to an old discussion thread on this forum that includes photos of a deck restoration project done in 2004 on my 1975 F26.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... torder=asc

I re-framed the cockpit and used mahogany decking over marine plywood, which I think was appropriate considering the age and value of the boat. I couldn't see putting down teak which was much more expensive when I priced it out. It's holding up pretty well after 4 New England summers.

Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI