VHF 16

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

You've done some homework! In my area it's 68 for communication but smart marinas will also monitor 16 for emergencies.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Big D wrote:Up here, we call marinas on 68. Do you guys south of us use a separate channel for this also?
68? No.

Charleston Harbor is the 2nd busiest harbor on the east coast (and busiest per square miler based on its small size), and no one uses anything but 16 for hailing. No one will hear it. 16 for hailing - switch to another appropriate channel ... No t the published intent, but reality here in the South.

We don't hear or issue SECURATEs either. None from Anyone.

Good night!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

In the bay no one will hear you hail them unless you do it on 16 or 13 in the case of large craft over 20 meters

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/vhf.htm

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/radio.htm#ch
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

We hail on 16 then switch to another working channel, usually 68 to talk.
Most marinas and boaters, after the call, will anounce they are "going back" to 16...or "standing by" on 68.

Most of my friends and just about all fisherman and recreational boaters our waters, are always monitoring 68 as well... Hence, the "scan" mode.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

CB ? anyone
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

From reading some of these posts, it is clearly evident that a standard protocol is needed and necessary.
The new DSC meets these requirements. with an MMSI #, there is no longer the need to place that verbal call. A simple push of the button calls the other radio, waits for an answer, accept, then automatically switches both radios to a working channel.
VHF channel 70, (it is all digital, no voice) is dedicated to DSC, at the same time it monitors channel 16
if a DSC alert is received from your radio, the details are immediately available to SAR coordinators.

Red distress button automatically calls Coast Guard and all other boats within visual range (how VHF works) with DSC indicating type of distress, and GPS Co-Ordinates.

It is where we have been heading, and not soon enough IMHO.

BTW: This has been set up, and is being implemented world-wide, 1 standard way of communicating emergencies for everyone. Canada and USA have been on board for some time now.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Larry

Use 16 to call another boat and then tell them to move over to a general use channel, usually 69, 72, 73. 16 is also for calling the USCG or issuing a may day call.

Most bridges and locks monitor channel 13. And you don't need a license here in the US as long as it's used in the US.

Proper protocol when calling another boat (or a marina, etc). Is open the mike on channel 16 and repeat the name of the boat or marina you are calling 3 times followed by "this is (boat name), Over."

So, it's "Blue Heron, Blue Heron, Blue Heron, this is Lady G, over." When I respond it would be "Lady G, this is Blue Heron, over." (acknowledging receiving your call and awaiting your instructions).

You then say "Blue Heron, go to (channel) 69, 70, etc (usually saying both numbers for clarity - "go to six-nine, seven-zero", etc.

Then we talk away on the boat-to-boat channel, keeping our conversation brief - it's not a cell phone.

At the end we sign off by saying "Lady G, out, and I reply "Blue Heron, out". Not "over and out"

Don't yell into the mike or hold it too close to your mouth. Speak in a normal, calm tone. You'll be better understood if you speak slowly. Depending on the range it can be as clear as if you and I were talking in the cockpit, or it can be muddy and garbled if the range is far or we're not taking time to speak clearly and at a normal volume.

Find out what channel your marina and other marina's monitor. Find out if your VHF has weather bands (most do).

And if you want to know if your VHF is working (you didn't hear this from me- it's not supposed to be done). You can call on 16 and simply say "this is a radio check". Those who hear you and chose to will respond.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Torcan wrote: From reading some of these posts, it is clearly evident that a standard protocol is needed and necessary. .

We have a standard protocol as do you in the north and it work well IMO
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I agree. There are a lot of folks out there who are clueless when it comes to VHF protocol. I don't know how many times I've heard channel 16 taken up by people "chatting" like they're on the phone! We used to have a sheriff's patrol who came on and told them to get off, but that's not around any more, and this is an upstate NY lake, not the big wawa, so we don't have any CG except for the auxilary and most of them are either pushing up daisies or sleeping on their boats.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Some folks are clueless alls it takes is a Little reading I wish when they give a saftey course the was more on VHF use . I just did a VA approved one and there was very liltle on this . ( and way too much Jet ski crap )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

randyp, well said.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

That is the very reason I asked about this on this forum, and I thank you all very much for your help. I've had the boat for 1 1/2 yrs, and only turned it on ( the vhf) once, fearing I'd do something wrong.

I was going to remove it all together, but now, I may keep it, knowing what is going on with it.

I will ask my marina if they have one and use it. So once again, thanks to you all.

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Larry, learn about the VHF and how to use it. Don't be afraid of it. It may save yours or someone else's life.

Lastly...

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/dsc/player.html
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

The nice thing about VHF is the range and the ability to get NOAA weather information (Usually channels 1-9, I think). Larry, please take a look at some of the sites the guys have sent you as well as Boat/US has a lot of great references on using VHF. Yes, it can be a life-saver. At our club we've gone out on the "Committee Boat" (and old beater pontoon boat) and hauled back people who get into trouble on the lake. We have a VHF up in the club house and it's always on. Someone is usually there an can pick up a distress call. Last year we brought back two boats - a 38 foot sailboat and and a 28' Bayliner who get caught out in a gale. The sailboat was aground on a sand bar and the Bayliner had engine trouble. Both called on channel 16. Since we don't have any tow boats or USCG to respond, and the sheriff's patrol is no longer on the lake, it's up to anyone who can respond in an emergency.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
robertBrown3232

Post by robertBrown3232 »

on the subject of a radio check. On lake Erie we call Tow Boat US on channel 9 and ask for a radio check. They are always happy to help you out.
Bob
I have a 28 ft Trojan docked on Catawba Island in Onio. Would like to hear from other Trojan owners in the area.