Bent Rudder Repair?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

It's possible the load on the shaft caused the stuffing box to distort and go slighly out of round which will make it difficul to remove the shaft.

One time I jury rigged a tool to remove a sticky rudder using two 2x6 blocks as shown below.

One block has with a hole drilled large enough to go over the stuffing box. To use this approach, remove the packing nut and the timber that supports the rudder bushing. The timber is held in place with a couple of lag bolts.

After removing the timber and the packing nut, drop the block with the hole down over the stuffing box. Replace the packing nut loosly so it doesn't bind on the shaft, but prevents the block from lifting off the stuffing box. Place a second block on top of the shaft and use bar clamps (or threaded rods) to apply pressure to the top of the shaft, pushing it down through the stuffing box. You can develop a lot of leverage with this technique, and you will need all of it if the stuffing box was distorted when the shaft bent. (The cross hatched areas in the sketch represent the fiberglass hull.)

This approach doen't transmit any load to the hull itself. You are pushing the shaft directly through the stuffing box. If you have access to a machine shop and can replace the wood blocks with structural steel, that would be even better.

Good Luck!
Been there, done that!

formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
jcatkinson

Rudder

Post by jcatkinson »

I had no luck with the liquid wrench and dead blow but I just found a whole drawer of miscellaneous pullers in my shop. Operation "Bent Rudder Removal" continues tomorrow!
jcatkinson

Rudder

Post by jcatkinson »

Finally got it out!! The puller worked like a charm.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

How did the rudder repairs go ? I am getting ready do mine .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Spent 10 minites or so in the press and its straight
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels