REWIRING BOAT

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

summer storm wrote:
mitch wrote:prowlersfish

THIS TIME YOU ARE WRONG !

The rewire price was for a similar 43 foot boat, if you don't belive, google it yourself. If you insist, I'll forward the web page?

The same goes for you, "your just posting to post"

Please, get off my back

Oh boy, I am in trouble again
The boat in question is 26 foot not 43 foot
That was the point thanks
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

Yes, 26, not 43, maybe cheaper to rewire, good luck
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Just amazing :shock:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

Yes, with the help of this site, the members, someone can rewire a boat themselfs and save a lot of money.
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Along the topic of updating the electrical system. Would it seem feasible to relocate an F28 DC fuse panel to right below the lower wheel? It would be much easier to access I think. And the upgrade would be to a Blue Seas ATC fuses. And could I use "jumper" wires to transfer the power to the new location w/o removing the OEM wiring. It should only be a 6ft run max. I'd fabricate and new door/cabinet flush with the existing structure below the wheel, about knee high.

As you know from my previous posts, I have a PO wiring mess on my boat and have broken my issues down to addressing one area at a time...i.e. fwd, center and aft as opposed to getting overwhelmed by looking at the complete rewire job.

I'm installing a seperate battery, ATC fuse setup and switches just to run all the external lights, pumps and accessories aft of the salon door.

Additional battery and ATC fuse, switches topside to address flybridge radios, remote floodlight, courtesy lights and any other future add-ons.

For me, this is the easiest way to address my issues, maybe more expensive but more easy to understand and service. I nlow have the complete wiring diagrams, but the POs altered too much for them to be dependable.
1978 F-28
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

BMILLER,

To re locate your fuse blocks, you'll have to replace them with contact strips to attach the the load and jumper wires to. The trick is to be sure that the wire gauge that you choose is sized correctly for the amount of current / lead length. If you look back a couple of posts, you'll see a link that describes how I did this exact thing although I used breakers to replace the fuse blocks in their new location.

hope this helps.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Paul is correct , and I may add any time you splice (add a jumper wire as you put it ) that give another place for passable issue later on . So make sure any splices are done right .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

captainmaniac wrote:+

As others have said, get in writing exactly what they will and won't do for the price, and guarantee that they aren't done until everything works right.

As usual you guys hammer home the important parts. I will talk more at lenght to them later this month.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

You guys are right too, I should be able to do it myself with help.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

I completely re-wired a 36' EGG I was restoring a couple years ago. Bill : $6,791.00, includung all new Nav lights. This was $60.00 /hr Cash.
I spent most of a day just creating the new diagram on paper. Labor was reduced since I already had much of the boat ripped apart, making it easier to run a new flelible chase front to back, and up to the fly bridge.

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
mrwright

No Way...

Post by mrwright »

prowlersfish wrote:Just a palk park . When they see the boat it will be higher . Wire must be marine grade and should be tined wire . I recc ancour wire ,costly but worth it.
Yes the price will go up. I figured 1200 in materials alone to just the 110 system and batt charger in mine. I just saw a quote for a complete rewire on a Grand Banks (around 38') that was $25,000 incl labor and materials.

Get EVERYTHING in writing and maybe check some references.