Anyone install air cond. 1979 32 trojan sedan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rshelly

Anyone install air cond. 1979 32 trojan sedan

Post by rshelly »

I want to install air on my trojan. My plan is to locate under seat in galley eating area. Is a right or left style a better choice to run duct work? Thanks!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Well, I installed a Crusair 16K with the SMX controls, reverse cycle unit under my settee. With a straight discharge from the top. The 7" ducting runs to a transition box with a 4" insulated ducting to run forward to the v-berth and a 7" ducting running aft to just below the lower helm, on the bulkhead facing the galley and also to the salon. (The t-box I ordered from my a/c distributor which has a 4" and 7" outlet on either side.)

I removed the drawers and fronts and made a grill plate for the return air. I lost storage but it was worth it. Use reinforced 5/8" hose to run from the pump to the a/c unit and to discharge.

Keep in mind, you want all duct runs to run straight as possible with minimal 90 degree turns as possible.

HTHs.
rshelly

air installation

Post by rshelly »

thanks for the info... I am looking at buying a "Mermaide 16500 BTU" unit. it is 19.5 Length, 13.75 Height, and 13.5 Width with left side blower port. I was afraid the top feed would not allow enough room for the seat bottom. Do you believe what I described would also work? My boat is a 1979 - F32.

Also:
Did you seal the settee compartment to insure that all airflow to the unit is recycled air from the main cabin and that there is no pulling of air from below any bilge area(s). I read that this is critical and that even if you only have a 1/2" leak to another area (hole) you loose a lot of efficiency from the air conditioner performance... because the air conditioners are designed to re-use the cooled cabin air to arrive at the set temperature.

Thanks
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Yes, it should work. Below is what I have. Remember, Dometic Corp owns many of the manufacturers with other names, at least the compressor, I believe...
Anyhow, take a look here for the dimensions which I have for the 16K.

Your model may also have a blower cage which rotates to facilitate duct routing, etc. The unit must install lengthways under the sette.

Yes, you want only air which is being heated or cooled to be the return air for effecient operation.

http://www.cruisair.com/sheets/L-0734.pdf
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

Is the unit you are looking at self contained or split?
rshelly

Post by rshelly »

Self contained...
rshelly

Post by rshelly »

Self contained...
rshelly

Stripermann2

Post by rshelly »

Thanks for the pdf - My unit does have a rotating blower head. It has three options for the condensation pan water drainage - 1 plumb to the shower pump, 2 drain to a bilge to be pumped out (don' like), - 3 purchase a condensator which pumps the pan water out with the return seawater $135.00. My shower pump is not accessible - under the shower pan in the head - and there is no access panel in the galley floor immediately adjacent. Probably answered my own question...
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

My shower sump pump is just aft of the head, under the floor in the galley with a small cut out in the floor.

I think yours should be accessible as well...?
rshelly

Post by rshelly »

it is in the same location - but there does not appear to be any access... the floor is a 12x12 wood tile on top of the floor material. I just acquired the boat this fall and I am planning to cut and install an access - I need to investigate the stringers in that area anyway...
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

I installed that same unit in my 85 F32. I chose to put it under the counter just outboard of the fridge. I ran ducts to the salon, galley counter top, head counter top, and the side of the hanging locker in the vee birth.
I can take some pics if you are interested.
tham57

Re: Anyone install air cond. 1979 32 trojan sedan

Post by tham57 »

rshelly wrote:I want to install air on my trojan. My plan is to locate under seat in galley eating area. Is a right or left style a better choice to run duct work? Thanks!
I have a 79, and mine is located on the starboard side underneath the electrical panel (Immediatey to the right of the stairs leading to the galley. I have a 19000 king aire in that space. (There is an access door. It all looks like a factory set up.)
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

rshelly wrote:I want to install air on my trojan. My plan is to locate under seat in galley eating area. Is a right or left style a better choice to run duct work? Thanks!
I have a 1973 F-32, there is an old (shot) a/c unit in the engine compartment, centered between the engines and against the bulkhead (back of stairs) It doesn't work, but I imagine it did at some point. Do you need to have a water cooled system, or where does the hot air go? Thanks
1973 Trojan Sportfish owner "CrazyHorse"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

crazyhorse wrote:
I have a 1973 F-32, there is an old (shot) a/c unit in the engine compartment, centered between the engines and against the bulkhead (back of stairs) It doesn't work, but I imagine it did at some point. Do you need to have a water cooled system, or where does the hot air go? Thanks
You need a water cooled system . I saw a trojan F30 years back that had a window (home) A/C unit installed thru the bulkhead right at the stars going into the cabin. Every time they needed a/c they had to open the engine hatchs .

this was not a good idea
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

For those who have installed A/Cs in an F32 below the electrical panel (beside the stairs to the lower cabin), or run ductwork through that space, have you had any problems with condensation induced corrosion in the breaker and fuse panels ?

My A/C currently sits under the forward bench seat in the dinette, and its ducting is only in the lower cabin. The starboard hanging locker was pretty much lost to all the ducting... I would like to free up the hanging locker and route some ducting to the salon, or perhaps even relocate the A/C unit itself and get the storage area under the dinette seat back, but was concerned with introducing condensation too close to the wiring...