F26 for Keeps in Fl

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Wish it would have been posted sooner...........sigh.............
1978 F-28
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Summerstorm, (and the rest of you Trojan Men),
I keep reading and rereading ya'lls posts. I have come to realize that I love this website and ya'll cuz we share a love for (vintage) boats. Further soul searching, not to mention a lot of scrounging for pictures for craigslist, have helped me to remember why I bought my classic Trojan in the first place. First, because I spent my youth with my mom and dad cruising and weekending on 25-46' yachts with my family all ove the Gulf from New orleans and the Chandeleur Islands thru Lake Okeechobee to Marathon in the Keys. Because fourth of July meant Panama city; Shell Island for scallops and the fourth; Tyndall Yacht Club for quahogs; the municipal marina for the adults (night clubs and lounges) and the kids to go pool hopping! Because summers meant anchoring for the weekend in Destin Harbor (sometimes for two or three weeks, with Dad commuting from the boat) or in a famous inlet that became known as Poodle Pond in Destin's East Pass. Putting hundreds of hours on Dad's dinghy putting around the boats or the harbor. Playing endless hours of boat tag, swimming in, out, around, under, between, in front of and behind the yachts rafted up. Spending many a weeknight crawling in the bilge with dad turning a wrench where he could not get to! In short, growing up on the water, in the water and gaining an appreciaction for boats, especially classically designed ones with nautical lines and practical layouts.

The more I think about it, sure my boat is a chore to tow and launch and not too easy on the gas, but I can do so much more with it than alternatives I have been considering, and I would be hard pressed to find one in such nice condition (as Dear Old Dad points out), or with as much deck and cabin space ( my wife). I am probably guilty of the rose colored glasses too, when looking or thinking of buying a smaller boat and don't consider all the facts. There fore I am going to withdraw my Craigslist ads (at least) for now, and plan on keeping the old gas hog for now. Roy and Beth

PS: How could I split up my trio of '78's?!!!!

PPS: Anyone know wher I can get a good,cheap, small diesel to go in my boat? (SLOW IS THE NEW FAST!)

Dads 31 Higgins
Dads 38 Owens

Dads 46 Chris Craft Aqua Home Me and My girlfriend on the stern
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
myakka

Post by myakka »

I've seen a guy out towards Arcadia Fl who puts in older 50 hp ford diesels in 25 Chris Crafts and Trojans. He told me he can go 10 kts at WOT. This includes making a pocket for the prop, shaft and rudder for our shallow depths around Charlotte Harbor. The installation was very rough but had the potential to be done nicely. His primary use for the vessel is shrimping according to him.
Mike
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Glad to hear that you're going to keep her, I made the same decision several years ago and have absolutely no regrets, it was the right choice for me. I'm sure you'll have plenty of good times. If you're concerned about burning too much fuel and want to go slow, keep it down at 8-9 kts, you'll probably only burn a couple of gallons an hour.
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

I already know all about going slow. I figure 4 gph at 1400 rpm at 8 knots. A coupla buddies call me slow boat Roy. I point out that he is "no boat Ritchie" and if he would prefer to pay dive shop rates for a two tank dive he can have at it.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

foofer b wrote:I already know all about going slow. I figure 4 gph at 1400 rpm at 8 knots. A coupla buddies call me slow boat Roy. I point out that he is "no boat Ritchie" and if he would prefer to pay dive shop rates for a two tank dive he can have at it.

What do you burn on plane ? @ 8 knots you plowing water , your hull speed is just over 6 knots you would burn much less at 6 knots
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

15-20 gph at 18-20 knots.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

What RPM is that at ? Your sweet spot should probably be around 2800-3200 rpm, and I expected you to do a bit better than that. I would figure 1.5mpg.
Last edited by captainmaniac on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

foofer b wrote:I already know all about going slow. I figure 4 gph at 1400 rpm at 8 knots. A coupla buddies call me slow boat Roy. I point out that he is "no boat Ritchie" and if he would prefer to pay dive shop rates for a two tank dive he can have at it.
I keep forgetting that you have a big block. On mine anything over 1300rpm and she'll start to push alot of water for very little gain in speed until you get on plane.

You have alot more torque than all of us with the small block who are running a 14x10 with cup, wonder if you could add another degree of pitch and still be in your recommended rpm band. I had a 14x11 cupped on mine, but was at the lower end of my recommended rpm band (still in spec) and dropped back to the 14x10 (My engine was brand new at the time, figured over time it would be better if I was at the higher end of my recommended rpm band). Checking my numbers 20kt cruise with the cupped 14x11 was at 2700-2800rpm, 14x10 am at 3100-3200rpm. Might grab 8kts at 1100-1200rpm

I'm no speed demon myself, sometimes I have no where to go and just enjoy being out. At least you're using it
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:What RPM is that at ? Your sweet spot should probably be around 2800-3200 rpm, and I expected you to do a bit better than that. I would figure 1.5mpg.

Thats what I was thinking
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D