What boats have you owned...Aaron may appreciate this...long

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

aaronbocknek wrote:
MadBen wrote:Hey Aaron, I know Dave Ritchie too. he started building homes...Homes America. Don't know if he is still living but I had lunch with him about 10 years ago and he told me the whole Broadwater story. He was a good guy who bought a load of bad plywood. Took the whole company down with lawsuits. I was proud to have owned his boats...I'm still aquaintances with his daughter Cheryl who is a ReMax agent here in Calvert Co. Those Broadwaters were the Bayliners of the "70s. got a lot of people on the water who may have never been able to afford it.
i fell in love w/ the lil' mariner when i saw her at the boat show one year.... i even have an ad from ebay!! you are right, they were good boats and our 1969 served us well. mom could make anything on that little princess alcohol stove!! i do remember the blocks of ice we used in the ice box. when did the problems start w/ the ply wood?
when i signed the papers for the tri cabin i was trying to find where the old broadwater plant was in mayo and i think i found it. what ever happened to doug?

Hey Aaron, my little mariner was alot of boat packed into a 21 foot package. A V/8 engine and V drive with a full four sleeper cabin. Just something about that hull that wouldn't plane unless you were almost full throttle. With me on board alone it performed beautifully but throw another person on board and a cooler...done. Dog!! WOT was about 4600 and thats what it took to get a nice flat ride out of her.
I don't know who Doug was, but Dave was a stand up guy.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Hahaha thought someone would like that, yea I co-own silently a bike shop and we service jet skis, they beat me up bad to. Glad I never bought one. We have 3 daughters, 10-13-18 so having the byliner was perfect, teach them all to drive, fish, tube, lay out and have a good time no fighting, it was a good idea until I became obsessed with fishing, especially winter fishing. How many 19ft byliners have you seen with captian chairs, 8 rod holder, live wells and multi thousand dollar electronics, LOL I get laughed at until they see me pull 40 lb rockfish left and right... I'm on the water just like them lol....but I need the big boat, now it's my turn to learn how to drive for once...
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

jefflaw35 wrote:Hahaha thought someone would like that, yea I co-own silently a bike shop and we service jet skis, they beat me up bad to. Glad I never bought one. We have 3 daughters, 10-13-18 so having the byliner was perfect, teach them all to drive, fish, tube, lay out and have a good time no fighting, it was a good idea until I became obsessed with fishing, especially winter fishing. How many 19ft byliners have you seen with captian chairs, 8 rod holder, live wells and multi thousand dollar electronics, LOL I get laughed at until they see me pull 40 lb rockfish left and right... I'm on the water just like them lol....but I need the big boat, now it's my turn to learn how to drive for once...
Jeff, I need to get out of this jet ski business... Mine are the old style 2 cycle and are becoming obsolete as we type. I'm thinking of getting one of the newer 4 stroke hondas or something like that...a three seater type that are much more stable...any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to ultimately have a swim platform on the new boat that is haudriolicly (sp?) able to store it on the stern of the new boat so I don't have to haul it every Sunday afternoon. I don't know how feesible it would be though and what it would do to the handeling characteristics of the boat I want.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Good question, I ride a lot of skies, best ones seem to be hondas with turbos, I don't work on them myself, there all fun but deff heavy. If your storing one on a swim deck I would assume u have a hoist or will need one unless you lower ur deck to flat water line and have a drive up dock setup. Wouldn't that put a bad drag on the boat? Most big boats around hear have a small crane set up to lift it up onto the swim deck, but I don't consider it a swim deck by then lol.
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

aaronbocknek wrote:
rbcool wrote:Thanks Paul. I do feel lucky and sometimes a little like I took advantage of a widow (kinda) :wink: , but justify it by realizing she had no use for her
Ben....I know exactly what you mean....I've thanked God many times for my wife being there with me in FL. If she hadn't been I might still be in jail :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ron 8)
ron, i understand the 'widow' was really trying to drive things and hold out. like, 'you can't take the boat out unless you have the name polished off immediately' etc.....the neighbors,from what i understand, were not much better. i'd love to know the story about it. btw... did you ever figure out what was up with the genset? i'm still confused on that one since everything looked so amazing when i looked her over.
aaron
You all good guys! These toys do become part of the family and its nice that all of you respected that.
Mike
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

She tried that crap with me.... I told her it would be a dealbreaker if I didn't take her the next day. The genny worked great during seatrial but later not so well during a hot day fishing. I did a mini tune up, changed out the water-temp sensor and she runs pretty good unless the fuel tank gets below 1/4, won't run at all. I think someone put a shorter P/U tube in for it. As for the neighbors, well I still believe they were from a different planet :lol: But I put them in their place pretty quick. As my Dad used to put it "A man standing in front of you with cash in hand trumps all"

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Ron , Its pretty normal for the Gen set to have a shorter pick up tube . The idea is not to let the gen set use up all your fuel. leaving fuel to get you home .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

rbcool wrote:She tried that crap with me.... I told her it would be a dealbreaker if I didn't take her the next day. The genny worked great during seatrial but later not so well during a hot day fishing. I did a mini tune up, changed out the water-temp sensor and she runs pretty good unless the fuel tank gets below 1/4, won't run at all. I think someone put a shorter P/U tube in for it. As for the neighbors, well I still believe they were from a different planet :lol: But I put them in their place pretty quick. As my Dad used to put it "A man standing in front of you with cash in hand trumps all"

Ron 8)
understood. phil kept talking about how 'demeaning' the neighbors were, the vibe they were giving off. i know they were protecting 'the widow', but, jeeze.....
okay.... maccabee and i are powering down for the night. 1st watch comes terribly early.... GOOD NIGHT BOYS....
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Lets see, I grew up (age 5 to 20) with-

9 ft rowboat dad bought from some kids for 21 dollars.
13 ft Boston Whaler with a 40 hp merc
13 ft sunfish
12 ft mini deep Vee speed boat with a 25 hp johnson
18 ft formula with a 165 I/O
23 ft Allmand (factory delivered)
28 ft Allmand (factory delivered)
32 ft Trojan (burned to nothing in winter storage)

Dad continued with-

15 ft Boston Whaler with 70 hp (for my Brother)
40 ft Viking gas
28 ft pursuit twin 225 hp
30 ft pursuit twin 250 hp (which I currently have)
40 ft Topaz (factory delivered 2008) with cat c-12's (still own)

And I have owned-

33 ft IOR ocean racer (sail) that I kept in Antigua (stolen)
25 ft 1973 trojan (sold)
32 ft 1977 trojan (current)
26 ft 1980 trojan (sold)
13 ft Boston Whaler (just bought for my 9 year old son)

And I have captained-

80 ft Zanabe, New England/ St Martin 4 years
106 ft Lene Marie, Antigua/med 4 years
114 ft Ring Andersen, Antigua/New England 7 years
115 ft Missy B 2, Florida Bahamas/ New England 6.5 years
101 ft Seafarer, Florida Bahamas/ New England .5 years

Next boat-

Either a Trojan 36 Tricabin or a 41 Chris Craft Motor Yacht

Sometimes I think I have spend more time on boats than land :shock:
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

Jeff, TNT makes a swim platform/lift...I'm not sure what they cost but probably as much as i am going to pay for the whole boat. I'm just thinking out loud...that would be the bomb though if it was reasonable. I already have float ons but its just a PIA. On the turbos (honda) I've driven Volvo cars since 1984...a total of over 2.2 million miles. Everytime my salesperson (the same since 1989) tried to sell me on turbos, I said no. I didn't want that xtra maintainance or liability. Well, I just bought my 6th one from this guy in December and he told me that I was right all along. I took him out for drinks for being such an honest salesperson.
I want a simple 4 stroke 3 seater...low maintenance.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I have only owned two boats since I came to boating later in life. I spent the first part owning airplanes and had several nice ones. Since I flew an F4 in Nam, it was kind of a natural pursuit. In 1999 I ended up upside-down in a field after an emergency landing and decided to trade my Bonanza for a boat. 

The first boat I owned was a 1998 Bayliner 2655 Cierra Sunbridge. I loved that boat and my wife and I used that boat to fish for Salmon, Lake Trout, and Walleye, and we also fell in love with cruising. We used it to cruise the North Channel, Georgian Bay, and all over Lake Huron. 

In 2008 I bought SeaDog, our 1979 36ft Tri-cabin. I also bought mine from a lady who had lost her husband and feel like I almost stole the boat. I got a great boat for very little money. She and her husband used to spend their summers after retirement cruising the Great Lakes and after his passing, she couldn't even go to the marina. She's happy it found a good home. 
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

MadBen wrote:Jeff, TNT makes a swim platform/lift...I'm not sure what they cost but probably as much as i am going to pay for the whole boat. I'm just thinking out loud...that would be the bomb though if it was reasonable. I already have float ons but its just a PIA. On the turbos (honda) I've driven Volvo cars since 1984...a total of over 2.2 million miles. Everytime my salesperson (the same since 1989) tried to sell me on turbos, I said no. I didn't want that xtra maintainance or liability. Well, I just bought my 6th one from this guy in December and he told me that I was right all along. I took him out for drinks for being such an honest salesperson.
I want a simple 4 stroke 3 seater...low maintenance.
I would agree on that, after my wife's accident I bought her a BMW, very heavy and sound car, she was almost killed in her ford cougar. She drove the 335 twin turbo and loved it, I told the dumb ass sales guy that it wasn't going to happen. I've worked on them for 12 years and owned 3 since 2001. Put her in the 328 and she was just as happy and I have less problems to deal with. Turbo skies are just fun to drive.
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Talked my dad into buying a 1960 17' Wizard with a 60hp Scott OB......actually was a great boat and I learned to single ski behind it......

My first boat was a 1956 14' Rockholt Woodie with a 20 HP merc outboard w/remote controls......had pin ups laminated in the mahogany dash......not fast but pretty cool.

Next was a 8 foot homemade hydo with a 12hp sea king......not to fast but scary as hell........

Next was a 15 foot fiberglass runabout, bought it as a fixer and added a 40hp merc with remote......raised my kids in this boat.....

Next was a 17 foot tri hull merc 170hp I/O...bought it with the out drive out for $1700 on an ez load roller trailer....spent $150 rebuilding the outdrive then ran it for 8 years and sold it for $2500.....no problem......

Next was a 1997 21 foot Reinel with a 225hp ford 302 I/0...great boat, put 300hrs on it then sold it.....

Next/last was my /Trojan....1972 30' Flybridge Sea Raider.....by far the best of all.....rest of story still to come......................John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

74' a 14' p-row
76' 16 j-boat
79' DD 871 desert dog 1 life guard duty
80 DD883
81 AE 27 Lebanon 82' 84 back and paid back !
87 FF 1038 drug war duty busted 1 ton of snow, 3 ton pot
90 LPD 12 gulf war 1
92 manatee 21 cuddy with a big Johnson on it great river boat
09 Carver 3607 won't be the last one but we'll have it awhile, at least til I retire in 5 yrs... :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

jefflaw35 wrote: Hmmmmm. Well just so happen for the rest of the day we watched a family of 8 argue over who was gonna ride next, so scratch that idea...

LOL. Whats really funny is that three months later none of them would hardly even want to ride it. They saved you a bunch!
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF