New F-26 owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.
the crew of the enterprise...
aaron
phil
maccabee (the boston terrier)
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Welcome home, I think you're going to like it here.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Wolf,
I have a 1972 F26 with the 318 and the paragon V-drive. I believe the 71 and 72 models are pretty much identical. I was hoping you could share your experience with your fuel tank replacement. I still have the original galvanized cylinder 27 gal tanks in mine and want to change them out. How were you able to get 50s in there? I assume your engine hasn't been installed yet. Did you have the tanks fabricated or did you pick up an aftermarket tank? Thanks.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

jefflaw35 wrote:....... but its all junk .......
She will kick you where it hurts next time you call her that :shock:

Don't want to hear you call her that again :wink: You're putting a lot of work into her and she's worth it. Take pride when you talk about her.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Big D wrote:
jefflaw35 wrote:....... but its all junk .......
She will kick you where it hurts next time you call her that :shock:

Don't want to hear you call her that again :wink: You're putting a lot of work into her and she's worth it. Take pride when you talk about her.
yikes!!! you are correct sir,im sure she will pay me back :shock:
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Just get her in the water Jeff, take lots of pictures that day, and brag brag brag about her. Then she may just forgive you :wink:
wolfnnj
Sporadic User

Ken

Post by wolfnnj »

The tanks I installed are 2 50 gallon aluminum tanks I do not recommend installing tanks with your engine in the boat I don't think it would be possible it had been a nightmare getting these in the boat, leveling them skimming them man it took 3 weekends to get the starboard side in I am confident I can get the port side tank installed in about a weekend because I don't have the steering to contend with but overall double the fuel capacity should be nice and the prior owner had nothing but problems with the original tanks as they started rusting inside and constantly clogging up his fuel filters I'll snap a couple of pictures of the tank installed so you can see what I did and I
Glad to explain the headaches involved.
Wolf
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Thanks Wolf. Looking forward to seeing your tank install pictures and other pictures of your progress. I changed over my steering to hydraulic so the starboard side isn't nearly as cluttered. But I put a 20 gallon waste holding tank aft of the starboard fuel tank so that filled up the void that I created when I removed the old steering box. I've been toying with the idea of trying to change out the tanks with the engine still in but just don't see how it would be possible. Well it may possible I'd have to go back with similar sized tanks but I definitely want to increase my range. I don't even think I could get the original tanks out with the engine in. Those original galvanized tanks have got to be heavy.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
wolfnnj
Sporadic User

Fuel tanks

Post by wolfnnj »

I'll measure and photograph it with the installed one so u can see the progress & send it to ya
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Thanks

Post by The Dog House »

wolfnnj wrote: it's a challenge I have never even driven a boat before now I'm working in it every weekend.
Wolf
If you have never driven a boat before, I would recommend you find someone with SINGLE SCREW INBOARD experience to teach you the basics. Single screw inboards drive very differently than sterndrives or outboards. Single screw inboards provide much less control when backing. On the good side, they also have much less maintenance than a sterndrive which makes inboards great. Personally, I would never own a sterndrive again.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

I agree...but once you know how your inboard reverses, you'll be able to do anything with her. Just a matter of steering and forward and reverse application. Your inboard will reverse either to the port or starboard. Once you figure that out, just keep your wheel turned in the same direction she reverses and don't change it...then gentle applications of forward thrust and reverse will get you into your slip just like a twin screw.
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

I agree...but once you know how your inboard reverses, you'll be able to do anything with her. Just a matter of steering and forward and reverse application. Your inboard will reverse either to the port or starboard. Once you figure that out, just keep your wheel turned in the same direction she reverses and don't change it...then gentle applications of forward thrust and reverse will get you into your slip just like a twin screw.
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Big D wrote:Just get her in the water Jeff, take lots of pictures that day, and brag brag brag about her. Then she may just forgive you :wink:

Thats so true. It's like that movie 'Christine' (circa 1983) you have to look at her and say " Its ok baby, it's just you and me" !!!!!!!!!!!
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Lawman wrote:
Big D wrote:Just get her in the water Jeff, take lots of pictures that day, and brag brag brag about her. Then she may just forgive you :wink:

Thats so true. It's like that movie 'Christine' (circa 1983) you have to look at her and say " Its ok baby, it's just you and me" !!!!!!!!!!!
jeff, first rule... never EVER bad mouth her. she has ears.
second rule.... never say out loud on board, ''i think i'm going to sell her'' (bad vibes will forever haunt you)
third rule... ALWAYS treat her like a lady, and she will ALWAYS bring you home.
that's a tradition the was passed from my dad to me. every time we left the boat after a weekend cruise, we always patted her on the transom or aft rail and said thank you. i know it sounds odd ball, but, these vessels have a soul. even when i'm down for just a day, i always say good by and give her a pat. heck, i even talk to my engines and genset. superstition? you bet. and i stand by it.

aaron
(and the mezuzzah from bubala 3 is on my boat now. same location to be exact.)
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

aaronbocknek wrote:
Lawman wrote:

jeff, first rule... never EVER bad mouth her. she has ears.
second rule.... never say out loud on board, ''i think i'm going to sell her'' (bad vibes will forever haunt you)
third rule... ALWAYS treat her like a lady, and she will ALWAYS bring you home.
that's a tradition the was passed from my dad to me. every time we left the boat after a weekend cruise, we always patted her on the transom or aft rail and said thank you. i know it sounds odd ball, but, these vessels have a soul. even when i'm down for just a day, i always say good by and give her a pat. heck, i even talk to my engines and genset. superstition? you bet. and i stand by it.

aaron
(and the mezuzzah from bubala 3 is on my boat now. same location to be exact.)
Also, NEVER say out loud that she is running great. She will prove you wrong in short order. :o