Bilge Pump Wiring

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BMILLER
Sporadic User

Bilge Pump Wiring

Post by BMILLER »

I'm getting ready to install all new bilge pumps in my F28. The PO used outdoor electrical wiring (14/3) to install the 3 wires for the forward pump. The wire is is good shape and supported well. Can/should I keep this setup or rip it out and put in new dedicated 12v wiring. My new pump only will draw 5 amps.

EVERY step with this boat is 1 forward. 6 backwards. Doubtfull if it will get used this year.
1978 F-28
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

If the wire is solid core it must go. I would remove it and install marine wiring, stranded, tinned to resist corrosion and proper size for draw and length of run.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I have to recommend marine grade wire, especially in the bilge. The copper will be tinned to prevent corrosion, along with other more desirable physical traits. Keep the wire high and dry. I like to use heat shrink tubing for sealing the connections. Use the kind that is adhesive lined and it will completely seal the connection.

If you stick to doing what's absolutely necessary such as those that affect safety and runnability, you may get her to a point where you can at least get her in the water and enjoy the season while tackling the rest of the projects along the way one at a time.

In the last link, you'll find the specs for sizing the wire based on load and length. Bilge pumps are considered a safety or high priority system so look up the 3% voltage drop.

http://www.marinco.com/productline/adhe ... eat-shrink
http://www.marinco.com/productline/wire-cable
http://www.marinco.com/page/wire-tech-data
Last edited by Big D on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I agree with mike. solid wire should not be used on a boat, watch out for wire nuts too. The tintied marine wire holds up alot better in the long run.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

And that make 4 on the marine grade
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

im doing what the guys told me to do. one of my bildge pumps was wired with speaker wire :lol: take a look at this...speaker wire lead was connected with butt connectors :shock:
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

YIKES!!!! Nothing like the smell of melting plastic!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Make that 5 for marine grade wire!
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

ill be the 6th guess i should have said deff use marine grade in my picture! the things ive pulled out of this boat is just unreal!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

whenI got my boat from the previous owner there were 120 v WIRE NUTS on the bilge pump wires !

WHAT, ME WORRY ?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Guess that answers it. Just wondered because the existing setup is that 14/3 stranded copper in a orange outer covering.....................

Unfortunately, its in the water and far from home and nowhere on this lake can you pull her out and work on it yourself. All marinas have the same policy...........real bummer for sure. It just makes refitting a MUCH more time consuming project. And honestly, if I'd pull her and ship her home, I'd find hundreds of additional issues the PO fouled up. Then, I'd just give up and scrap her.
1978 F-28
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

BMILLER wrote:Guess that answers it. Just wondered because the existing setup is that 14/3 stranded copper in a orange outer covering.....................

Unfortunately, its in the water and far from home and nowhere on this lake can you pull her out and work on it yourself. All marinas have the same policy...........real bummer for sure. It just makes refitting a MUCH more time consuming project. And honestly, if I'd pull her and ship her home, I'd find hundreds of additional issues the PO fouled up. Then, I'd just give up and scrap her.
Almost sounds like extention cord cable was used.

Don't get discouraged. Just tackle one issue at a time and enjoy her along the way. Take care of the safety and runnability issues first. And don't for one minute think that perhaps by having bought another boat you may have gotten away from this, most likely, it would have some issue that needs addressing as well. And new boats? don't even go there, not saying they are all bad, but I've seen some pretty scarry things in the process of outfitting new ones. That's just a result of carelessness and assembly line profitability. You want to find everything that is wrong, that way you can make it right and safe for you and yours, and enjoy your time on the water knowing that you have minimized the chances of something going wrong at the most inopportune time.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Gotta laugh.....till get all these things fixed, I'll probably be to old to us it...................:-)) :D
1978 F-28
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Don't get discourged! Little steps! I started by reading this book

http://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Mechan ... 118&sr=8-1

I would then start eliminating the most hazardous stuff first. Check the tanks for corrosion. fuel lines, if really old replacing them is pretty easy. Is the bilge blower working and wired correctly with the correct wire? go over all wiring in the bilge. if its residential romex get rid of it. get rid of any wire nuts. Try to eliminate the obvious fire hazzards first. I would then take a some time on the weekends and sort out any rats nests of wires. make sure everything is properly secured and is routed properly. It seems overwhelming at first but as you dig through everything and make proper improvements it actually becomes somewhat "Fun" (don't laugh!) There is a huge piece of mind and satisfaction of knowing every inch of your boat inside and out. If you have an issue with something in the future ,chances are you will know exactly where to start looking. For what it's worth I can relate.
Good Luck,
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea