genny vrs. inverter final decision

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jefflaw35

genny vrs. inverter final decision

Post by jefflaw35 »

Im hooked on this idea, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SyRaxQ1PJk
I know my boat is small. I would like to add more than most people would. and I woulndt have to worry about anything. Easily hidden, battery bank can be as far as im willing to pay for wire etc. It looks nice and quiet
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

In watching the video, they do not say it is marine rated. I would have a concern about the internal components and wiring if they are not designed to operate in the marine environment. The output of the charger is only 30 amps. Typically, you want about 25% of the battery bank as a charger. If you have a 400 amp hour battery bank, you would like at least 100 amp charger in order to recharge your batteries in a reasonable amount of time. Batteries take a long time to recharge the last 15%, and you should not discharge them more than 50%. therefore, out of a 400 amp bank, you only have about 170 amp hours of battery without a complete recharge. With only a 30 amp charger, that will take a long time. Usually a 3000 watt inverter will have about a 100 amp charger.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

good info! im going to look into that. Maybe add the charge system I already had as well? If you acually look this devise up, they say it is for boats as well, may just be a sales pitch though. seems tough to find a good inverter. everyone always has something they dont like about any giving one. Im looking, but I like this one.
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

They are very quiet, no noise at all !! Placement of the unit is key, make sure it is not in an area with no air flow as they tend to get warm. They have small axial fans for cooling but without new air in they recirculate hot air. Batteries are to be in a proper box (don't forget the added weight when installing) center line is best for trim. Grouping 6 volt batteries is a good way to go for higher amp hour rating. Wallyworld sells these batteries fairly cheap (golf cart batteries).
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

yep you are along the lines I have been reading. Im getting there. Seems better than a heavy genny drinking fuel! I can get the weight part right, add air duct system to inverter etc. Just need to put the right plan togather, thanks guys
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

My 6.5 Onan weighs in at 427lbs. and drinks 1gal. of gas a hour. Still sitting in my garage after the rebuild this winter. Thought I was getting weak with age as I couldn't pick it up until I read the manual and seen the weight.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

comodave wrote:In watching the video, they do not say it is marine rated. I would have a concern about the internal components and wiring if they are not designed to operate in the marine environment. The output of the charger is only 30 amps. Typically, you want about 25% of the battery bank as a charger. If you have a 400 amp hour battery bank, you would like at least 100 amp charger in order to recharge your batteries in a reasonable amount of time. Batteries take a long time to recharge the last 15%, and you should not discharge them more than 50%. therefore, out of a 400 amp bank, you only have about 170 amp hours of battery without a complete recharge. With only a 30 amp charger, that will take a long time. Usually a 3000 watt inverter will have about a 100 amp charger.
You are bang on. The charger component noted above will take a while to bring the bank up to a full charge. Having said that, it's fine if you're a weekender and it is left to charge all week. It should also be noted that you should check if it charges more than one bank at the same time or you'll need an ACR or some other splitting device, and more importantly, is it a multi-stage smart charge or will it fry your batteries if left unattended? If it's not made for a boat, it probably doesn't take certain things into account that are unique to marine use rather than RV or household.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

ill look for the specs tonight, all the ads for it says boats in the writting, but i need to look at the acual spec sheets, thanks for the help guys
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i have an aims invertor but not this model. i have 2500 watt. mine is not mounted in the engine room. i would not take a chance with it. i have it mounted just outside in a storage area less than 3ft away from my battery banks. it works great and is a very good invertor. you should be able to do the same and then theres nothin to worry about. as far as charging i have standalone true 75 amp charger that will definetly add some amps back into my bank (i would have installed a 90 amp but had this one come up for a great deal). when i use my generator.. you got to get the most for the time spent running. a 30 amp charger wont do alot for restoring the used power in the batteries in a short amount of time. if your trying to make a decision between invertor or gen. you need to decide what your trying to do. run the ac all day in florida? you going to be anchored out alot . just need it for a mini dorm fridge? etc. i have both, i can easily get by with invertor for 3-4 days 24 hrs a day. i have many things that run off it and it s nice not starting up the gen everytime you need some ac power. but when its 95-98 degrees and 90% humidity outside in tennessee in the summer the generator and ac come on. nice to have both.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

JUst think alot of new style inverters have all the new gadgets built-in and building a new boat, I may as well spend the extra few duckies for the things that could go wrong. I get what your saying though. My plan is to run Tonys Fed-EX truck electric fan heater. 21 inch tv, dvd, 6 LED cabin lights, full size mini fridge. small hot water heater. electric flush potty. music radio/cd, and my navi-fish finder system, not all will be running unless its at night in the winter and that will be rare. Im thinking 4 golf cart batteries and a 3000w inverter. I was going to keep all the normal boat items, like horn, navi lights etc on my motor dual battery bank. I dont like the idea of a heavy genny using any fuel on such a small boat. 4 to 8 batteries is still alot lighter than any genny I do beleave.
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

well you might what to check what kind of power the electric heater and the water heater are rated ac watts or amps. these are going to be a heavy draw as you know. i can tell you that the ac mini fridge if its the typical is apx 1.2 ac amps give or take when running. that will be apx 10-12 amps dc . the led tv wont be too bad .the led lights wont draw anything to speak of.the radio depends on what amps etc if you are installing those. the point being on all of the items you need to add up all the power those take. decide on ok i will you this about so many hours a day and then do some math to figure a guesstemant of how much power youll need. for easy math say using an invertor 1 amp ac to dc say 10amp dc wont be this but its a start. i know those heaters will be most likely be killers. does the truck fan heater , i assume this is 12vdc have a tag stating amp draw when on? the water heater is this a marine one that is 110vac or is heated from the engine water? once it is warm it would be good for awhile still would be some warm even overnight the next day. get some numbers together and you can get an idea of what size battery bank you would need. that way you want spend money on guessing about it. the only true way after you have what you are going to use is to measure the draw with an amp meter this gives you real time useage. an amp clamp is easiest but a multimeter inline will do the same thing. start small and you can always add batteries to your house bank. but i wouldnt just go buy a bunch of batteries with no idea. 4 golf cart batteries might be plenty but it would be nice to give yourself the info or do you need less or more.
example trojan t105 battery 225amp/hr what ever battery to extend the life of it figure using 1/2 of the capacity of it
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

ok thanks, i will round up all the numbers. I was tinking a marine water heater that uses the engine water. Im sure the truck heater fan is going to be a killer . thanks for the help
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

I'll those amps for you on the fans...but I have run to all night on 2 4D's and a plotter and LED Anchor light plus the reefer all night in July.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

thanks tony! I just oredered the fan system this am. I couldnt find the numbers online so the book keeper said to buy the componets and get them here first, then we will get the wires batteries and inverter. Her mind set is better than mine right now LOL, thanks for the help man.