International owners

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fourreins
Moderate User

International owners

Post by fourreins »

Does anyone know what is the most common breaker size on the breaker panel or do they range from 10-15-20???? Adding a couple lights under the swim platform and was just looking to take the power from the switch on the back of the boat that currently runs the overhead light. I am looking to run about 12 amps for the lights.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

just posting a note to remind all the newer 10 meter owners that those "toggle" switches in the main panel are actually Airpax circuit breakers.

Everyone needs to be aware of this and to make certain that the safety of the vessel and crewsare not compromised as previous owners have unknowingly substituted plain toggle switches for these Airpax breakers.

Another Trojan...... safety ....... tip

PRACTICE SAFE BOATING the TROJAN WAY......

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

+1 A good reminder RWS
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

What makes an Airpax breaker different?
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

What’s unique about them is that they look like regular toggle switches. RWS is pointing out that this must be considered should one of these fail. Some folks have unknowingly replaced them with toggle switches, which then leaves the circuit unprotected.
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

It has been some time since I had my 12 v panel apart but I think 15 amp's was very common.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Most are 15 amps, but to be honest, as long as you match the load with the wiring size (and wiring length) to the breaker then you are fine.
S.A.M.
Moderate User

Post by S.A.M. »

Are these known as the T-11's?
Sherman
'90 10m Midcabin
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

Let me start with I am no electrician! I added three transom lights to by swim platform. My friend helped me with the wiring and I just want to make sure all sounds good. We took the power from the light switch on the back of the boat which used to run the dome light above the glass door. That light now by passes the switch and turn on and off just by the switch on the light itself. Anyway, the transom lights are now wired to the switch and all seems good. I have three lights that each draw 4 amps for a total of 12. I pulled the cover on the dc side to see if I could determine what size the breaker is and each breaker has a yellow sticker on the. The sticker reads 15.0 A -6532-3 125vol. I assume this means it is a 15 amp breaker????? What do you all think?
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Its 15 amps. It sounds like you should be all set, as long as you don't reinstall the cockpit lights. It's about what the wire can handle, not the breaker. Current breakers were set up for the size and length of wire installed.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

how can I determine what the current wire gauge is to the switch on the back of the boat that I am using to run my swim platform lights? Will the wire be marked? I am running three lights at 4 amps each for about a total run of 20 feet. Ten feet out and ten back. I am thinking I need a 10 gauge wire???
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Swim platform lights are not considered a critical system therefore a 10% voltage drop is acceptable. For the details you provided, you could get away with 16 awg but personally I like to move up to the next size if practical. This allows for future expantion with the right size breaker, so I say 14 awg.
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

Big D, Since I am picking up power from the light switch on the back of the boat and running the new wire from there do I need to be concerned with what size the wire is that runs from the panel to the light switch. Just concerned if I run 14 from the switch to the new lights and the existing wire from the panel to the light switch may be less. Would this be a concern?
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Most deffinitely have to consider the whole circuit and treat it as one. So this means from the breaker at the panel to the lights and back to the panel or closest negative terminal block.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Do you have a positive terminal block in the engine compartment? It may be easier and less expensive to start a new circuit from there rather than going to the electrical panel. You can use an ATO fuse at the block to protect the circuit.

This holder makes for a neat and robust installation
http://s246612274.onlinehome.us/wiringd ... e80fe29420