engine hatch

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rspecops

engine hatch

Post by rspecops »

I got two questions reference items I want to address in my renovation of my F 26. Has anyone put hinges on the engine hatch? Big ole hatch. I can easily handle removing it but I was thinking some nice stainless take apart hinges would be great in daily fluid or engine checks and still be able to completely remove hatch for major work. If so does it work out better hinged front or off to one side, I was thinking hinges on port side. I have just never seen a pic of an F26 with the engine hatch hinged.

Second, anyone got any pics of an F 26 that front cabin windows were removed and fiberglassed over. Don't know right now if I want to do that or replace windows. The two windows now are plexi and in bad cosmetic shape. They have cracks and p/o put gobs of sealer on them. Although they don't leak a single drop I will be replacing or closing in window space.
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Post by jon_e_quest »

You first have to consider whether your cockpit sole is structurally capable of handling the wear and tear of your 'big ole hatch' repeatedly swinging on it. If you have a later model F-26 with FG cockpit sole, you'll need to check the balsa coring as many older cored decks have water damaged balsa by now. If the deck squishes at all under your feet as you walk across it, you'll want to condsider replacing the balsa core. Tap around with a small hammer to 'listen' for rot. If you do end up replacing the core, I would recommend using plywood coring in the area around any hinges for the added strength... And then through-bolted hardware for mounting those hinges.

The front windshields are not simple flat panels, but have a slight compound curve to them, making them more difficult to replicate. Consider whether you can refurbish the originals to an acceptable condition. I don't believe the original gaskets are available any longer. When caulking, make sure it's designed for use with acrylic plexiglass. And first lay painter's tape to make a clean edge. Fiberglassing over? I wouldn't for asthetic reasons, but consider incorporating additional seating in your design as Trojan did have a bench seat up there on some models (F-25 and F-30).
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

2" S/S piano hinge works great, just make sure you put a good amount of 3M 5200 under the head of the bolts before installing, this will keep all the water out.
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody