Hurricane distress sale

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

classicf25

Hurricane distress sale

Post by classicf25 »

Came across a F30 Sportfish at a local marina a few months ago that was for sale. We liked the extra room in the cabin and the large deck area. The boat needed a fair bit of tlc and but was ready to run and everything worked according to the owner. He was asking $6300. We checked out the boat and liked the potential we saw. Since we were almost getting ready to put the F25 in the water we stayed the course and did not pursue to boat.

A few months go by and we notice the price dropping every few weeks. The day before the Hurricane was to hit the gulf I received a call from the owner of the boat asking if I was still interested. Apparently he was in financial distress and had not paid his marina bill and had to leave town. The marina had given him another day to pay or they were going to lein the boat. I went to look at the boat again with my commercial captain/advisor and we are now the owners of two 1973 Trojans!

My wife was less than thrilled about purchasing a boat in a marina the day before a Hurricane was heading into the gulf but I decided to roll the dice anyway. Thank goodness mother nature cooperated and didn't give us too much grief-so far.

I was impressed to see a very complete maintenance log book and original owners manual on board as well as several other nice options. All upgraded electric head system, fresh water system, windlass, electronics, refrigerator, fuel tanks, etc. Don't get me wrong there is plenty of things needing attention but we are ok with that.

Our plan is to run both boats for a while and decide which one we prefer. Once we decide we will sell the other boat or maybe not... I have 2 slips available right now so there is no rush to decide.

I hope these pictures come through. We will cruise her home on Wednesday all going well.
Imagelassicf25/PortRichey-20120715-00192.jpg[/IMG]ImageImagehttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r48 ... 0142-1.jpg[/IMG]i1168ImageImageImage
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

Sorry about the previous pictures, first attempt with photobucket.
Maybe better this time.
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Same Clean Machine as mine, just check the stringers and make sure they're not rotted. How many hrs. On the motors? Fresh water cooled? Needed too consider twin power vs. single. Single's better on fuel but twins are much easier to handle. Good luck with her.
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

Thanks Lawman, I will have to do a little checking between the log book hours and hour meters to figure accurate hours. Starboard engine was replaced in 1991 and port in 2002 according to the in depth maintenance log left on boat. PO never looked at the owners manual or maintenance log when he bought it. I am real glad the maintenance log is so detailed because the PO knew nothing.
The PO had know idea the other motor was done in 2002 or that the boat had ac, new fuel tanks, etc. Poor guy bought the boat in March and was scared to death of it having never owned a boat before. He knew absolutely nothing about boats and quickly realized he was in over his head. PO only took it out twice with a mechanic onboard to drive it for him over the 5 months he owned it. First trip was when he bought it and moved it to a close by marina and one other time after having some maintenance done by the mechanic. Again the mechanic drove the boat.

Can you send or post some pics of your flybridge enclosure? I have my canvas girl coming to do mine and yours looks nice from the avatar. I have 2 bimini frames but no canvas. I will need the shade while working on her.
I can't wait to get her home.
Thanks, Lawrence
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
sluggo
Sporadic User

btw I think that is my cooler on the back!!!

Post by sluggo »

LOL
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

That cooler was full of lot's of great line, another nice bonus!
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The clean machine is a great boat . Very user friendly lots of fishing room . A fly bridge thats easy to troll single handed , and a good size cabin .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

The F30 Sportfish really does have a great layout, lots of room for our family of 5 and you gotta like the set up for fishing. The flybridge will be a new thing, not sure about that. I am also not sure about the fuel it will consume!

Not ready to give up on the F25 yet, especially since we are only weeks away from splashing a year long project. We have had high expectations for the F25 since we got her.

So for now we will ride and compare both of our 1973 Trojan F Series. Showed it to my 13 year old daughter tonite at the marina and her vote is in.... 1 vote for the Clean Machine already!
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

classicf25 wrote:.

Can you send or post some pics of your flybridge enclosure? I have my canvas girl coming to do mine and yours looks nice from the avatar. I have 2 bimini frames but no canvas. I will need the shade while working on her.
Thanks, Lawrence
did I read the above correctly? "I have my canvas girl comming to do mine" "Iwill need the shade while working on her. I can't wait to get her home"

Does your wife know about you working on the canvas girl? :shock:
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

rooferdave wrote:
classicf25 wrote:.

Thanks, Lawrence
did I read the above correctly? "I have my canvas girl comming to do mine" "Iwill need the shade while working on her. I can't wait to get her home"

Does your wife know about you working on the canvas girl? :shock:
LOL
Only you Dave.. only you :)
(guess I'll have to change my avatar now :()
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

I thought everyone has a canvas girl, mines the best! :lol:
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Only have a couple of the enclosure,I'll try to get more close-ups for ya.
Gonna have the blue Cockpit Bimini changed to black in the Spring!

1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

Thanks Lawman,
It's nice to see what the boat could look like. I am going to do the black as well, it looks great! What year is yours? My wife feels a lot better about this quick and impulsive purchase I made after seeing your boat. Any more pics of your boat would be greatly appreciated.

I am heading to the marina tomorrow to pick up the boat. The marina apparently has the 2 original bimini frames in storage there for me. We are going to have the marina pick up the boat so we can have a quick peak at the hull and running gear and then drop her back in and head off to our place. I hope the wind lays down a bit because it was kinda rough and rainy here today. We have around 15 miles straight up the coast to get home. I will be glad to get her out of the marina at this point and home. My wife still thinks I am crazy to do this... But I think she kinda likes the Clean Machine!
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

Made it back safe and sound. Nice 2 hour cruise up the coast in a small craft advisory for the maiden voyage home! It was beautiful out there.

Liking the "Clean Machine" already. Now we have to make her clean. Had the marina lift the boat for a peak at the hull and running gear before we left, all looks good! Didn't like the $4.99/gallon fuel price though!!
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good deal !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels