Draining Fuel Tank

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BMILLER
Sporadic User

Draining Fuel Tank

Post by BMILLER »

What is the safest way to drain out an F28 fuel tank? Currently it has about 25 gal of gas in it. I think I have crud clogged in the tank. I have my thoughts, but I've never drained an inboard. I don't want to become a "news story". Thanks.
1978 F-28
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Having done it on an F28 I know how I did it and how I would do it if I had to do it again. As you know my boat is on the hard so I could essentially siphon the fuel out to a lower container. Was not easy and yours is floating so no lower container to siphon to. Even still I had about 5 gallons left in each tank, but as I took mine out I finished empetying on the ground.

1. check with a service provider at the marina they may be able to do it for $$$, the old fuel has to be desposed of.

2. Access to the fuel can be pumped out through the hole where the sending unit bolts down to, once the sending unit has been removed.

3. If I did it again I would buy the least expensive electric fuel pump the local auto parts store has, then plumb fuel hose into sending unit hole and start pumping to containers. (That is how the mechanic got the fuel out of Fishmaster) Now cleaning the crud from the bottom of the tank is a subject for someone else. I have new aluminum ones.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink