MID-ENGINE TRICAB -- FUEL LINE CHAFING FOUND

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

MID-ENGINE TRICAB -- FUEL LINE CHAFING FOUND

Post by P-Dogg »

In the aviation world, the FAA issues airworthiness directives and service difficulty reports to address hazardous mechanical issues. Not having a similar program set-up for boats, I'm broadcasting what I found here so that folks bright enough to read this forum can at least benefit.

While tightening the starboard spray rail on my '85 tricab, I cut a hole on the starboard bulkhead that is normally covered by the nightstand and was greeted with the following sight:

That is in fact one of the copper fuel lines that is resting on the spray rail attachment bolt. The amount of contact was enough to cause some corrosion, but not enough to cause any noticable wear on the fuel line. After I took the photo, I polished the fuel line in order to facilitate making a good visual inspection.

Since the subject fuel line is not supported immediately adjacent to the bolt, it was able to move enough to make contact. The fuel lines were no doubt run by hand at the factory, so it is possible that a similar or worse condition exists on other boats. On the tris with the fuel tanks under the aft side bunks, you (probably) have two (or four) opportunites for this condition.

You can access this bolt by drilling a hole in the bulkhead that is about 6" forward of the aft interior bulkhead, and 14" up from the top of the outboard stringer. You might as well make a big hole, because the bulkhead there is non-structural. I recommend a hole saw with a short pilot bit, or an oscillating tool like a Fein Multi-master that provides good depth control. Not only are the fuel lines there, but on the '85 tri, so are the vinyl vent hoses.

Hey -- isn't there a thread on "winter projects"? Performing this inspection would make an easy project that might serve to make future boating seasons safer.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good info , not a bad idea to inspect all the line .

You know Aaron won't sleep tonight thinking about that line . :wink:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:Good info , not a bad idea to inspect all the line .

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

aaronbocknek wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:D Just picking on you :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

P-Dogg

very well written, nice job
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Thank you. I get lots of practice at work, where I am a mechanical engineer engaged in, among other things, copious amounts of technical writing.

For my next act, I'll detail the complete rebuild and refurbishment of my underwater exhaust, including, Aaron, how to install the bellows! Look for that in about a week. I'm too ashamed to take a picture of the final installation because (in my nerdy, anal retentive mind) the tails of the threaded studs on my T-bolt hose clamps are too long. After I trim and polish them, I'll post a complete how-to with pics from start to finish.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

aaronbocknek wrote:

I just saw this and about pi$$ed myself.

Visions of Aaron tossing and turning. Tormented by dreams of burning tri-cabins. Using every waking hour inventing some kind of Rube Goldberg contraption with dental mirrors to look in every nook and cranny. :mrgreen:
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Commissionpoint wrote:
aaronbocknek wrote:

I just saw this and about pi$$ed myself.

Visions of Aaron tossing and turning. Tormented by dreams of burning tri-cabins. Using every waking hour inventing some kind of Rube Goldberg contraption with dental mirrors to look in every nook and cranny. :mrgreen:
okay okay okay.... first and foremost, i was phoned by perry and given the heads up before anything was posted. (so NEENER-NEENER !!!! )

second.... while understandably a potential issue, i'm really not stressing over this, as i have more important personal issues to contend with. besides, in order to fully access said bolt and line, i'd have to tear apart some furnishings in the aft cabin, and to be perfectly frank, i'm just not up to the task. she's been fine for decades, and, right now, i see no need to start stressing over something that i have no control over. at least not right now. as for tossing and turning, well, it's not over this. the chemo and radiation and the resulting after effects on my body has completely obliterated any sort of 'normal' sleep patterns.

blunt and to the point i guess, but i am able to see the overall humor in the joshing i've been subjected to. (and how did you know i looked into the area from above w/ a mirror? :) ) <<and besides, you promised me 'boat cooked' dinner >>

aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Get that galley in order. Invite some folks from the forum. I will be there.

Oh, and get that death trap retrofitted or I'm not setting foot on it! :shock: :P
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.