Winterizing A/C

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

marklo154
Sporadic User

Winterizing A/C

Post by marklo154 »

Hello everyone, have been reading many many posts on here lots of great info. Having my boat pulled out monday just working on getting some of the systems winterized before hand. I have done the generator and freshwater system. Was hoping to tackle the A/C unit today but I not sure of the procedure. I see were the seacocks are and was thinking to just shut it off disconnect the hose hook some antifreeze up and turn on the a/c, but it is not like there is a exhaust so How do I circulate it it through.

A few other questions 1) When I turn the key to start one of the engines a Buzzer goes off ????
2) I dont believe the previous owner did a final waste water pump out will this be a problem over winter ? If so what are my options

Thanks in advance everyone.
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The buzzer is most likely a low oil pressure warning. It should shut off once the engine is running. The waste water will be an issue. Can you get it pumped out before the boat is pulled? That's probably the easiest thing to do.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

The marina is closed for the season so no pump out available . Yes the buzz does turn off once the boat is started , seems to run fine and good oil level.
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Holding tank gonna be a problem unless you keep the compartment heated where the tank is. :roll: As for the ac find the water discharge ports outside and run the antifreeze thru til it comes out pink or whatever color your using. You may have to have someone watch for you and yell down when its ok to turn off. The buzzer......low oil pressure.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

What would be the cause of the low oil pressure How can I check this.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

That's normal when you are starting the engine - it has no oil pressure at all till you start it. The sensor is on as soon as you turn the key so it is sensing low oil pressure. There should be a warning buzzer for each engine.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

ok. The other engine buzzer doesn`t go off on start up so it might be the buzzer itself . Each one does show a light which stays on.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

On the A/C, the seacock needs to be closed while the boat is still in the water, otherwise it's nearly impossible to prime the pump. If was closed before it was hauled, then you can take the cap off the seacock and pour the pink into the strainer and it will pump all the way through and out the hull.

If that's not an option, disconnect the hose on both ends of the pump and pour pink through until it comes out the other side. Fill the seacock with it too. On the holding tank, pour a couple of gallons down into your deck pump out, that's really all you can do along with flushing the head after pouring some in the bowl.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

marklo154 wrote:ok. The other engine buzzer doesn`t go off on start up so it might be the buzzer itself . Each one does show a light which stays on.

What is the oil pressure Gage reading when running ? ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Both seem to be at 50.

Well I have seemed to winterize the fresh water system, generator, and the a/c unit ( hopefully ) . Hauling it out tommorrow and will have to do the 2 engines.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have never had a issue with losing prime in my a/c pump . Depends on where the pump is above or below the water line . If below no problem
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I'd be worried about the holding tank. I don't know how much fluid you have in there but even if I did, I would never venture to guess how much antifreeze would be enough to keep it from bursting given that the water in the tank will dilute and reduce its protection rating....how will you know how much is enough unless you test? If you can't pump it out before you get hauled (other marina close by?), try and find a mobile pump out.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Maybe fill the tank the rest of the way with some -50 antifreeze and just hope for the best if you absolutely cannot get it pumped out.

You could always sell poo poo sno-cones if it doesn't work out.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Why not just physically remove the tank and empty it? If it is nearly full it may be quite heavy but if it freezes it is going to be ruined and need to be replaced anyhow.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Never thought about removing it , maybe a option. I will talk to the guy that is hauling it out for me tomorrow he has help me out a great deal with everything maybe he will know a mobile pump out.