engine room extinguisher - mid cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

engine room extinguisher - mid cabin

Post by BobCT »

I have the original Fire-Boy Halon unit in my mid cabin. I checked with the manufacturer and they told me that as long as it's within the specified weight (+/- an ounce or two) that it should be fine. I thought it would be a good idea to add an add'l unit as a back-up. If both go off, that's ok with me.

I picked up one while in Fla and it's physically the same size as the factory unit and rated for 125 cubic feet. Rough numbers in my head, it seems to me the mid cabin engine room is a lot bigger than that. 3'Hx12'Lx12'W = 432 cubic feet?

Todd, since your engine room is empty, can you post a ballpark cubic foot engine room measurement? I know my rough measurements are off but not by that much. Were the factory units undersized?

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Re: engine room extinguisher - mid cabin

Post by Mike Kulp »

I would guess those measurements are pretty close you have to figure your engine room is full of equipment that take up volume ( engines, generator, fuel tanks ) also it may be the difference in the Halon itself. My insurance company would not reinsure me until I had my system certified and since it had the old Halon they would not service it so I installed a second unit.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Mike... good point, it's not an empty room! The engines alone consume a lot of the space, I didn't even think of that. Insurance aside, Fire-boy told me to take the unit to a Post Office every year and get it weighed. Mine is either spot on or off an ounce which is well within spec. The weight is printed on the label.

The general concensus seems to be if it's full, it'll work regardless of the age. I'll let you know if that turns out to be true :)

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

This might help. They have a worksheet you can use to calculate the volume you should be choosing the correct size system for. Click on "Engine Room Volume Worksheet." One for complex or simple hulls.
http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/manuals.htm
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

I had mine serviced a year ago or so. The tank was fine but the guy seemed to think it should be bigger.

I assumed it was original equipment and that Trojan knew what they were doing. I did learn that if it goes off, I should not open the hatches so I don't add oxygen to the fire. I did buy several large extra extinguishers to use if the below deck system doesn't do it.

If i did have a fire, I wonder how how long I could wait before I open the hatch to see what's going on down there. I think it would be really hard to stand there knowing there could be fire down there with all the fuel etc and not open the hatch.

I damn sure hope I never need to deal with that!

Tom
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Holy Molly I would not trust the post office, those crazy fools might confiscate as some kind of hazardous material as they did to Prowlerfish and I, and the package was just some old controls. :shock:
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I'll measure it tomorrow Bob. I'll be down the shop in the morning.

Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Bob, sorry but I got sidetracked today. I will get you dimensions tomorrow.
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

11'4" beam across top of stringers by the rear exhaust ports, 11'2" beam accross top of stringers at the front of the gas tanks, 10'1" from stern to forward bulkhead, height at keel to underside of floor 43", height at upperside of main stringers 39", height at upper side of outermost stringer 31".

I would feel comfortable using 11x10x3= 330. Round up to 350 for safety then subtract tanks and engines.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Todd,

Thanks for that, my off the cuff measurements weren't too far off. I'm going to check the original Halon and see if I can find a sq footage rating. The one is just bought is the same size and rated for 125 cubic feet.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I may have the origional sheet in my file, I'll check and let you know.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

yorklyn wrote: I would feel comfortable using 11x10x3= 330. Round up to 350 for safety then subtract tanks and engines.
I don't have a system in my 1975, but did call and talk to a fireboy tech. You measure teh space and do this cacluation and buy the unit that size, do not remove volume for engines and tanks. That is what they said, but i guess they could be making a sale too. Just a comment.

Good luck.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

aweimer wrote:
yorklyn wrote: I would feel comfortable using 11x10x3= 330. Round up to 350 for safety then subtract tanks and engines.
I don't have a system in my 1975, but did call and talk to a fireboy tech. You measure teh space and do this cacluation and buy the unit that size, do not remove volume for engines and tanks. That is what they said, but i guess they could be making a sale too. Just a comment.

Good luck.
Aaron, they are right in what they told you about the engines but not the tanks unless specs have changed or you want to include a better safety margin. You must NOT remove the engine volume from the equation per ABYC standards. The only volume you're allowed to remove from the equation is that of fixed tanks such as water, waste and fuel. This is clearly stated in their worksheet to calculate volume and is why I noted the link in my post earlier....if you want to adhere to ABYC standards, but what do they know? :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year