trim tab switch

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rspecops

trim tab switch

Post by rspecops »

Hey guys I am putting the final touches on my F 26 renovation. Gonna post some finished pics soon but she is all tarped over now. Anyway got a question, correct me if I am wrong but on the trim tab switch isn't say the switch that is labeled port side supposed to actually operate the starboard side trim tab??? On mine now when I operate the switch that is labeled port up / down the port side trim tab goes up and down. From my reading and experience with somewhat smaller boats with tabs this is wrong. I think mine are wired backwards unless there is something I am missing or been wrong..????.. I have the hydraulic Insta Trim / Boat leveler system.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Re: trim tab switch

Post by alexander38 »

yep, Port = stbd tab....stbd = port tab.... :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The Norm is as Tony describes . However many people prefer the port switch to work the port tab and the starboard switch to work the starboard tab . I am one that prefers it that way as do many others . Its easy to change it to the way you prefer . No right or wrong IMO.

whats you take tabman ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

Almost all Trim Tab systems are set up from the factory so that the left hand control operates the starboard Trim Tab and the right hand control operates the port Trim Tab. The idea being that you push the control in the direction you wish the boat to respond. If you want to lower the starboard bow you push the top right hand control which lowers the port Trim Tab, which in turn lowers the starboard bow.

I personally prefer this set up and think it is the most intuitive to use.

But as prowlersfish point out some people like it the other way and that's fine. By swapping the wires fore the solenoid vales at the switch it's easy to set it up this way.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Tabman wrote:Almost all Trim Tab systems are set up from the factory so that the left hand control operates the starboard Trim Tab and the right hand control operates the port Trim Tab. The idea being that you push the control in the direction you wish the boat to respond. If you want to lower the starboard bow you push the top right hand control which lowers the port Trim Tab, which in turn lowers the starboard bow.

But as prowlersfish point out some people like it the other way and that's fine. By swapping the wires fore the solenoid vales at the switch it's easy to set it up this way.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
+ 1 :)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Stripermann2 wrote:
Tabman wrote:Almost all Trim Tab systems are set up from the factory so that the left hand control operates the starboard Trim Tab and the right hand control operates the port Trim Tab. The idea being that you push the control in the direction you wish the boat to respond. If you want to lower the starboard bow you push the top right hand control which lowers the port Trim Tab, which in turn lowers the starboard bow.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
+ 1 :)
-1 :lol: Like I said pretty much the norm . I just prefer mine the other way . port switch ,port tab ,port stern lift . Majority people probably like it the way Tony has his .

Thank you Tabman / Tom
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

It's also possible that your hydraulic hoses are switched (crossed) at the pump.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I learned something new! Never heard of this before. My port switches operate port tab and vice versa. If it was the other way, I would get confused!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

To make the bow do or get the result of what is written on the switch plate, the switches must operate the opposite tab as described above. This is the traditional format of operation but to each his own. This link describes it pretty good and has a drawing to explain the function;
http://www.insta-trim.com/owners-manual
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

lawyerdave71 wrote:I learned something new! Never heard of this before. My port switches operate port tab and vice versa. If it was the other way, I would get confused!

i'm with you on this one dave.... i never know this and to be honest, no one ever explained it to me. so, the next time i have a minute, i'll check out my setup. wish i knew this when the boat was out of the water. how does one check it out with her in the water? i'd have to have someone hang over the swim platform i guess to watch the tabs in action.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Thats one way to check , or when you take the boat out see how it reacts to each switch .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:Thats one way to check , or when you take the boat out see how it reacts to each switch .
take the boat out? you mean, out of her slip? burning ''liquid dinosaur''? :shock: :shock: :shock:
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Hey Aaron yours works port down = starboard tab down and vice versus when we ran your boat I was working them but I must admit on my first boat with tabs I did not understand the tabs because the mechanic in me said port down should be port tab going down I almost rewired it but then I got used to it and now its second nature I do not even look at the tab switches its all done by feeling what the boat does.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

aaronbocknek wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Thats one way to check , or when you take the boat out see how it reacts to each switch .
take the boat out? you mean, out of her slip? burning ''liquid dinosaur''? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Better to burn it before it turns back into a solid! :lol: :lol:
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="captainmaniac"][quote="aaronbocknek"][quote="prowlersfish"]Thats one way to check , or when you take the boat out see how it reacts to each switch .[/quote]

[b]take the boat out? you mean, out of her slip? burning ''liquid dinosaur''? :shock: :shock: :shock: [/b][/quote]

Better to burn it before it turns back into a solid! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

1, USE THE BOAT Aaron.... :wink:
2, Use the gas before it turns into varnish.... :mrgreen:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/