Furuno to Garmin?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tsawyer
Sporadic User

Furuno to Garmin?

Post by tsawyer »

I've got a color Furuno chart plotter combo on my boat along with a separate Furuno radar unit. They are pre-navnet models but have been connected together along with the floscans and VHF.

Except for the floscans, all of that was on the boat when I bought it. I don't use them a lot, but I can't stand using them. I have particular trouble with the chart plotter. It's just not in anyway user friendly. The last time I took the boat to the Bahamas, I broke out my handheld Garmin to navigate the approach.

I'm contemplating a electronics redo. I'm thinking of going with the Garmin 4210, new sounder, VHF, etc.
I may at some point add the autopilot.

I guess I will also need to change out my transponder which is a thru hull model.

So, am I nuts spending that kind of money on this? Should I just live with what I have?
Should I keep the existing radar or go whole hog on the full Garmin system?

I was down at the Miami boat show yesterday and the Garmins are just so much easier to understand. And, since I didn't buy the 39 Tiara for $620k I figure the cost of this isn't so bad :D

What do you think?

Tom
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Furuno to Garmin?

Post by prowlersfish »

Garmin makes some very user friendly units and they do a good job . IMO the best GPS . and the radar works well . But no Radar can beat furuno . I used most of the brands out there and Furuno works the best ( radar) regadless of $$$. With that said The garmin combo units ( with radar ) work very well as a radar , and the gps part is great . Everyone I know that has one is happy with it . Right now I am running a Koden radar ( with Gps ) and garmin GPS . I rarely us the Koden in GPS Mode . I rely on the Garmin for GPS . If I was to replace it all and money was no issue . I would go with a Garmin combo unit , less radar . I would go with a stand alone furuno for radar. You could Just up grade the GPS and keep the Radar unless your not happy with that also . All and all you may very well be happy the 4210 . ( I am just picky withe radar )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Bang for the buck and good stuff Lowrance, HDs Gen 1 or gen2 with Digital radar have the plotters two different models and love them, Radar LOVE IT ! It'll pick up a jet ski two miles out in chop, as a whole package I like it.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Audrey II
Sporadic User

Post by Audrey II »

I don't think you are crazy at all! My boat came with a Northstar GPS and a Furuno radar I replaced the GPS the first year I owned the boat with a Garmin 4208 I love the unit I have no complaints at all. A couple of years later my open array scanner died so I bought a Garmin Dome and a second 4208 and networked the screens I'm very happy with this setup however the original radar worked much better at picking up targets the garmin is easy to use but the Furuno worked better this said I'm not comparing apples to apples I went from a 4' open array to an 18" dome it's not surprising that Furuno would have worked better.
I do wish the Garmin had a larger memory for routes and waypoints I like to store all my trips I find I have to maintain them on my computer then transfer them using an SD card when I need them.
If you ask would I choose the same setup again if I had to do it again the answer is yes over all I'm very happy!
1996 Trojan 440
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

Being a marine electronics installer, I know what you are saying about Furuno being hard to use. But it is the best radar. I have the Garmin GPS/depth on my boat and love it. We just installed a Lowrance Gen II with radar,side scan, GPS on a 42 Cruisers. The owner loves it, and I must say, I think it is a great unit.
-1995 350 express
with big blues (454 Crusaders)
-2011 Caroling Skiff J-14 (Tohatsu 30hp four stroke)
-1996 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet (Merc 90hp)
-1990 BeachCat 20. Fiberglass pontoon (2013 Merc 60hp big foot)
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

alexander38 wrote:Bang for the buck and good stuff Lowrance, HDs Gen 1 or gen2 with Digital radar have the plotters two different models and love them, Radar LOVE IT ! It'll pick up a jet ski two miles out in chop, as a whole package I like it.
+1

Check out their side scan sonar too. Seriously cool stuff at a very resonable price.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

So it is sounding like I need to keep the radar unit. I guess the only benefit to replacing it would be having it all on one screen.

Maybe I'll apply that forgone cost to getting an autopilot instead.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Redundancy... Keep the Furuno-great radar. Get what you want in a fish finder and chartplotter. The Lowerance with side scan and structure is a nice machine. Then I'd get a nice Garmin for GPS/Chartplotting.

I have a Raymarine radar, Furuno Fish finder and a 10" Garmin all up on the helm. And they all work very well.

Now you have the best of all worlds.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Stripermann2 wrote:Redundancy... Keep the Furuno-great radar. Get what you want in a fish finder and chartplotter. The Lowerance with side scan and structure is a nice machine. Then I'd get a nice Garmin for GPS/Chartplotting.

I have a Raymarine radar, Furuno Fish finder and a 10" Garmin all up on the helm. And they all work very well.

Now you have the best of all worlds.
I agree , Koden radar 10.4" on the fly and 7" lower helm ( all in one but radar is it job) 2 garmin gps and Furuno Fish finder . When the Koden goes a Furuno Radar will replace it ( cheaper then a Koden too)
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Forgot to add If I went to replace the Fish Finder , I would look hard at the Lowerance with side scan .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

I'm going to use the Garmin sounder piece that integrates with the GPS/chart plotter. I'm sure there are better units, but I don't want three screens at the helm.

I had a Garmin combo on my last boat and feel comfortable with their sounder.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have 4 screens , and run the radar on split screen a lot ( close and long range ) so I have 5 screens to look at . :D radar gps x2 . and FF .

If your going with a unit to do more then one function ,( FF/GPS ) Then Garmin would be my top choice also .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

One of the guys in my marina just rigged up Nobeltec to his sail boat. He picked up the radome, wiring, and Nobeltec's Admiral navigation software for about 2600.00, The Admiral software runs on any PC, and apparently will also run on Android tablets, suports NMEAA 2000, wifi, and ethernet, and runs your radar disply, weather, and charts (compatible with GPS) from the PC. No need for a proprietary "multifinction" display.

The software is wicked cool. You can select your chart, and then switch views to full relief 3D view, and split screen so you can see the traditional chart view and 3D side by side and overlay the weather. I was impressed with it, and likely will get around to mounting it on my boat.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Lowrance Side Scan is the best one out there....But I need forward... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

alexander38 wrote:Lowrance Side Scan is the best one out there....
No doubt. If you know the waters you are using it in very well you really get to appreciate its ability to render structure with insane accuracy. Technology has come a long way from the days of flashers!
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.