Battery Charger

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bigralph

Battery Charger

Post by bigralph »

Alright - as an update if you read my live aboard post, I'm buying a 1990 F32 tomorrow and will live aboard for at least 6 months. I'll be doing some light cruising aorund the Chesapeake and planning a trip to Fl via the intercoastal towards early summer.

With that said, the battery charger is covered is salt spray. It works, according to what we saw on the survey, but it's one of the low-hanging fruit things for me to replace on an overall reno of the boat.

Wants: 30 Amps - seems like 30 amp is widely available at many harbors in my area. There are 3 banks now, to inlcude the genset 12V. I will be using my brand new stereo that's on order and en route as my primary entertainment at the pier and underway. Someone correct me, but I believe all of the lighting on-board is DC. In time, because I'm a geek, I'll probably replace the existing DC bulbs with LEDs. My fridge is AC; it's a lowes dorm model, but it works and is better than throwing $600 at a dual source right now. I'll be using the head on-board some, so the DC freshwater pump will get a workout. I don't know if the hot water heater is DC, but I would be extermly surprised if it was. That wouldn't make sense to me from instict, but hey maybe I'm wrong. The boat will spend most of the spring pierside, so battery conditioning is important. So, all in, I see mostly small loads, like less than 30 amps by a long shot.

I've been to West Marine and Bass Pro because I wanted to see and touch the device before I bought. Bass Pro was having such a good sale and I've been using the heck out of my Sea Ray that I bought a Pro Mariner 20A (10/10) for the Sea Ray. They did a nice job with somewhat idiot-proof protection and cabling, but the leads are only 5'. Their factory recommended 15' leads are $49/pair and the 5' lead extneders are $29/pair at Bass Pro. Based on the layout, it looks like I would need 2 5' leads extensions and one 15' for the genset. So, the Pro Marine 3Bank 20 Map is $199. I'm just curious if anyone knows the life expectancy of this brand.

The Pro Mariner will repriortize current to the bank it notices that has the greatest draw. So, if the genset battery only needs a 13V, 3A maintenance trickle charge and I'm using the hell out of both regular banks for my hotel loads, then, the Pro Marine will reprioritize the remaining 7A from the genset and send proprotionate to the needs of the banks. So, I could have something like 16/11/4 (just a theoretical example). Anyway, that seems like a cool feature that I've only seen advertised on the Pro Marine.

The next option is the MINN Kota 30 Amp (10/10/10) from Bass Pro and it was $299. It seems heavier and more industrialized and uses custom leads, leads I can create. That seems like a bargain, except I think their charging algorithim is different from the Pro Mariner, which I liked.

Then when I looked on-line I saw a brand I'm pretty familiar with from other work, Xantrex. I liked their gear for Solar PV projects, but the price was a budget buster. I alos saw a Charles Marine that looked good, but no reviews.

I'm looking for any feedback.
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: Battery Charger

Post by ready123 »

Are you sure your generator needs an external charger? Consider this: if the genny charges it's own battery when running why does it need to be charged when not running/no draw?? Mine charges it's own battery and so I don't have it as part of my chargers system.... so my 3 leg charger does engine 1, engine 2, house battery. What make and model of genny?
If you are not using the genny often or for say 3 months disconnect the battery...... any good battery will still be full of life when you reconnect.

Are you likely to have higher battery draw downs in the future? Say anchoring out, trips to FL etc: (You should have an Inverter for the fridge if you do stay out....) If you are staying out then you would gain much by having a better charger, one that puts full power to the battery needing rebuilding.... For me a 50 Amp battery is a minimum for that service.... I also use Xantrex on both my boats.
For me the key to recharging is to have the high amperage charger to return my house battery to full charge in as short a time is possible when I'm out and using the genny.
I just like the theory of buying the right charger for the future the first time out...... cutting corners now will only make the cost more over the long run.

This might be a good compromise for you: http://www.maritimesupermall.com/index. ... s_id=59415
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Hi...I live in Va Bch, and there's a few more of us in Tidewater I'm sure you could get one of us to help run you thru your systems if you want, Going from a cuddy to a 32> is a jump.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

bigralph wrote:.....seems like 30 amp is widely available at many harbors in my area.....
Has no bearing on charger output. You could have a 100 amp charger if you wanted to
bigralph wrote:.... There are 3 banks now, to inlcude the genset 12V....
Though you shouldn't really need a charger for the genset, if it's a 3 bank charger and the genset is the 3rd bank, can't hurt providing the charger you choose doesn't freak out when it sees a conflicting charge on one of the banks - genny running/charging its own battery and charger is also on trying to charge the genny battery. I've seen some chargers shut down charging to all banks because of the conflict.
bigralph wrote:....My fridge is AC...
If you plan on doing any anchoring for lengthy periods, get an inverter as suggested. May have to increase the size of the house bank.
bigralph wrote:....I don't know if the hot water heater is DC....
No
bigralph wrote:....the Pro Marine 3Bank 20 Map is $199.... The next option is the MINN Kota 30 Amp (10/10/10).... familiar with...Xantrex....Charles....
I would not do the Minn Kota. Xantrex and Charles are both good brands. For some boating habbits, a fast charge is desirable. A 20 amp charger is insufficient IMO. Having said that, one needs to consider the size of the bank and the batteries used ie; a 3 bank 50 amp charger can pump out 50 amps to one bank (depends on design). I would not for example if a bank consisted of a low capacity 24 series battery that was depleted, suddenly pump 50 amps into it once the charger was turned on. Not good. Most good chargers will recommend the minimum battery size that should be used because of this reason. Which ever make/model you get, if it's to go in the engine compartment, ensure that it is ignition proof for inboard applications.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year