F-36 Pre Launch repairs Advise

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

marklo154
Sporadic User

F-36 Pre Launch repairs Advise

Post by marklo154 »

Hello everyone,

Looking for a bit of help on a few repairs I have to make before I put my f-36 in the water .

1) One of my props has some play in it, by that I mean I can move it on the shaft slightly each way , left to right while the shaft stays stationary. Not sure what the problem is there,

2) I need to replace 2 of the bolts that hold the metal disc were the drain plug threads in to in the front of the boat as 2 of the screws appear to be bent, Is this as simple as take the 2 out and replacing with new ones or should I take the whole assembly out , if so what is the proper way to re seal it. ( sorry for my lack of proper terminology )
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
Commissionpoint
Active User

Re: F-36 Pre Launch repairs Advise

Post by Commissionpoint »

Pictures? Sometimes they can help a lot.

For your prop, is the correct key in the shaft?

For the drain I'd need to see before I could advise.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Marklo,

1) There should be absolutely no play in the props. If the prop is loose on the shaft , I would recommend removing it and inspecting it. Be sure that the prop's bore is in good condition and free of any burrs as well as the tapered portion of the shaft. Inspect the key for wear and replace as required. If all looks good, re-install the prop using the thin nut first (tight) followed by the thick nut as the jam nut. Don't forget the cotter pin. If you have concern about the condition of the prop, you can have it inspected by The Prop Shop located inside Happy Days Boat Center in Windsor or Johnny's Boat Propeller Service in Detroit.

2) Replacing these screws might be as easy simply installing new screws with sealer. These screws don't usually come loose on their own so be sure that the holes that they thread into aren't stripped. If they are, you may want to remove the plate, drill out the holes then fill them with epoxy. Next, locate the plate and drill new screw holes and be sure to use sealer when you re-install everything.

I saw a Tri Cabin sitting in a storage lot near the train station, is that your's? If so, it looks like a nice boat from the road.

Good luck.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Yes that`s mine the one by the train station. Its in great shape. I guess I will start with taking the prop of and inspecting , I will try to take a few photos .
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Here is a picture of the drain in question. They look to be machine screws with a nut on the other end. 2 of them are bent on the other side , not broken off just wondering if i could just replace the 2 or leave it ..
Attachments
drainplug.jpg
drainplug.jpg (122.87 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

If it were mine I would totally remove, clean up and re-seal it with new bolts. Also on the prop double check the shaft size when you check the keyway.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

what is the process to re seal it , as for materials ?
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Either 5200 or 4200. Seal unit prior to reinstalling into hull and seal head of bolts and part of bolt shaft at head of bolt. Give water NO chance to enter into/thru the hull.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

So I removed the prop today had a good look at everything had a good look at everything. After today I `m thinking that it is not play between the prop and the shaft , but possibly in the shaft were it enters the boat?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Check the strut to make sure it doesn't have any play, and if it is solid try shifting the shaft and see if it moves within the strut... If the strut moves, need to figure out if it is loose or the backing plate (probably a pad of plywood on the inside of the hull) is rotting out and soft... either way, fix it... If the strut is solid then your problem is probably the cutlass bearing.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Could you be talking about play in the tranny? The problem is that you said the shaft stays stationary so I'm a little confused, and we need clarification to assess properly. If you're moving the prop and the shaft stays stationary then the issue lies at the prop end. If there is play when you're turning the shaft left to right, then it could be the tranny. Is the play when you turn something left to right, move/shift left to right, up down?? Makes a big difference. How much play are we talking about?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Big D wrote:Could you be talking about play in the tranny? The problem is that you said the shaft stays stationary so I'm a little confused, and we need clarification to assess properly. If you're moving the prop and the shaft stays stationary then the issue lies at the prop end. If there is play when you're turning the shaft left to right, then it could be the tranny. Is the play when you turn something left to right, move/shift left to right, up down?? Makes a big difference. How much play are we talking about?
Yes there is play when i turn the shaft left to right, not much but enough to tell something is different from the other prop/shaft which turn smoothly
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

If you can take a picture and illustrate on it where the play is it would be helpful. You have a strut, a brearing in that strut, a stern tube, and a shaft coupler which are all potential culprits.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Sounds to me like play in the tranny, the question is how much?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:Sounds to me like play in the tranny, the question is how much?
Agreed ,It could be normal ( or not ), you may not feel in the other shaft due to drag of a cutlass or stuffing box. Get someone that knows to feel it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D