TVs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

TVs

Post by The Dog House »

I installed a 19 inch flat screen LED TV on the boat today. It was a royal pain getting it bolted down due to where I wanted to mount it. Since it is so difficult to bolt down (and unbolt), I'm thinking of leaving it on the boat this Winter. Will being in freezing weather damage the TV? If so I'll remove it, but I'm getting too old to be standing on my head to get to the nylock nuts on a regular basis. I'm really hoping I can just leave it on the boat.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: TVs

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

I would not if it is a Plasma!
Season is short, we make the best of it.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I would not leave any LCD device out in winter temps if it's not rated for such like marine, RV or automotive where it is expected to be in that environment for extended periods. Having said that, I see regular household units on boats all winter long with no ill effects, but I've also seen some trashed (LCD bleed) for no other reason that's usually discovered first thing in the Spring.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I have been using LCD TV's on my boat since they first came out with flat screen TV's and, like you, where they end up being mounted makes if very difficult to remove them easily.
Saying that, I have never removed any of them for winter storage and to date I have not had any issues at all.
I normally just end up buying the house brand TV's, not anything too fancy and they seem to hold up just fine.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

There are a lot of them out there on boats now and the number that survive seem to far outweigh the number that don't.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have never had a issue with mine , along with the LCD electronics on the fly bridge .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I have two LED Coby units which haven't been bothered by the cold over three seasons.
1988 10m mid cabin
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

BobCT wrote:I have two LED Coby units which haven't been bothered by the cold over three seasons.
Thanks everyone for the information. I only paid $99 for the TV on sale, so I think I'll take the chance this Winter and see what happens. I'm no expert, but I think the LED units are a bit more tolerant of the cold than the LCD and plasma units. If it dies on me after a season or two I'll take the next one out for the Winters. Like most things with this boat, let the experiment begin. :lol:
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I have a 32 inch LCD, but I definately bring it home in the winter. Dunno nuthing about mounting it though. Mine just sits on a shelf.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Commissionpoint wrote:Mine just sits on a shelf.
What keeps it from falling off/tipping over? Maybe the lake never gets that rough?
Commissionpoint
Active User

Yeh, it would probably take about 3 1/2 to 4 footers to make it fall off, and I would have to be taking those head on. It really never gets that way here unless there is a hurricane, and at that point I'm hiding somewhere. Probably watching the TV until it passes like I did last October.

You know the shelf I have it on right? I think you had your microwave there.

BTW. Hows the Albin? Got it in yet?
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The Dog House wrote:.....I think the LED units are a bit more tolerant of the cold than the LCD.....
They are one in the same; all LCD screens, just lit with LEDs rather than an incandescent bulb assembly. Plasma on the otherhand is a completely different screen.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Big D wrote:
The Dog House wrote:.....I think the LED units are a bit more tolerant of the cold than the LCD.....
They are one in the same; all LCD screens, just lit with LEDs rather than an incandescent bulb assembly. Plasma on the otherhand is a completely different screen.
+1
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Must be nice to be on a reliably quiet lake. Yes, I know the shelf. We had a small TV on board - might have been a 9" - CRT - before everything went digital - and it sat on a small table (16" x 16"?) on the starboard side of the salon between two chairs. When underway, we set it on the floor.

Gave you a quick Albin rundown in your cruising thread.
Commissionpoint
Active User

I know the little Stbd. side fold down table. I haven't really decided what I am going to do with it/use it for yet. I have put the laptop on it a few times and watched movies on the couch in the salon. Otherwise its always folded up. If I got the right chair by the door it would probably be good for an end table of sorts for the person sitting in the chair. The nice thing about it is that if you aren't using it it really takes up no room when its folded up. Thats probably the main reason its still there.

Now I'm looking for a TV for the V-berth that I will mount on the wall where the little accessory cabinet was on the Stbd. side. I am thinking I can get a 21" in that spot and have it wired into the PS3 on the other side of the bulkhead without too much hassle. That will be a project for the fall I am thinking.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)