1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks guys ! I'll post a few more picks once the additional $500 of awlgrip paint, converter, reducer comes in. I made a "half ass " attempt on doing the non-skid on the perfectly sprayed engine hatches and screwed them all up. they look like they have 24 grit sandpaper on them now! I didnt have the brush converter so I tried to spray them and add the non skid which didnt work. I then added the non skid to the paint in the spray gun which worked great until I added too much non skid and it got too thick. I then took the paint ,put it in a pan and tried to roll it which gave me the 24 grit texture. At least I'm really good with a sander at this point! I'm in the process of putting new stainless thru hulls everywhere above the water line. Got about 1/2 done today. They look soooo much better than the old plastic ones. I finally feel like I'm moving ahead!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Well I sanded the hatches back down and re-did the non skid using the correct brush converter for the awlgrip, everything turned out better than I ever expected. I rolled and tipped the cockpit side and they are as smooth as glass! I did the non skid on the top of the cockpit gunnels too. All I need to do now is tape off the bow and apply the nonskid and I'm done with the awlgrip!!!! started messing around with the console. I strengthed it with fiberglass and added some 3/4 plywood under the compass area because it was sagging pretty bad.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Todd,

The documentation of this restoration has been truly amazing.

With all that you have put into her in time, sweat and money the result will be a new boat.

I wish the numbers had worked out better somehow, but I know it's just wishful thinking to see this critter done up with diesel power and a diesel genny rather than gas. In this economy and boat market it just did not compute.

That said, the result would have made for what would be an ideal boat for life.

Nevertheless, your results are awesome.

You and Natchamp have set the bar high and have led the way in showing everyone just what can be accomplished with a Meter series boat restoration.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

RWS , I agree and can olny add one thing . WOW !!!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks for the kind words guys! I couldn't have undertaken this project without all the the help and knowledge from forum members like yourselves! I also really appreciate the patience all the forum members putting up with my "never-ending" post!!!!
On another note I spent 4 hrs today masking off the rest of the bow and sides for non-skid! I'm getting closer!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Been busy . bow rail is installed . side panels are reinstalled over the blower holes and new bilge blower hoses are installed. I finished up the dash (what a PITA!) I have over 20 hours in patching and sanding alone! If anyone needs to make a repair on theirs, west system G Flex epoxy works great (regular west system wont adhere good enough) I had to cut the label slots with a dremel and drill new holes holes for the switches. I tried using duplicolor vinyl paint (for car dashboards) with an adhesion promoter. It looked awful! You could see everywhere the epoxy was used. I went with "plan B" and tried plasticdip spray paint. I had seen alot of people with jeeps use it on there grills, wheels and fenders and everyone seemed to love it. its kind of a rubber like paint. 3 coats later and it turned out great. now for the part that I have been dreading , putting the dash back together! The fuel tanks are back in! had alittle less than 1/16 clearance getting them to slide into place but they fit like a glove!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Well I'm getting there! I made plates to alow me to use new deck plates . ordered 1/4 fiberglass sheet, cut holes , rounded edges, sanded, primed, two coats of awlgrip and installed today. dash is back together and working (still need to install 3 leds for bilge pump warning lites) all hoses are in, grounding for gas tanks done, tank fills are hooked up. new switch panel installed. new bilge lites installed, new cockpit lites installed. I'm beat!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Wow, lots of progress. looking great. Nice and clean
Unchained
Sporadic User

Post by Unchained »

Hey Todd, it's looking so good, I'm just about done with mine. I'll have to post some pictures soon. I ran all new breather hoses too, but wasn't sure on the exact routing of the dual air intake hoses. I have the first one run in front of the gas tanks as you have, but I can't see how far it goes or where you ran the other one. Do you have any pictures or can you describe? Mine were half gone, so I was taking a guess at this point. Let me know and thanks so much for all your posts thus far, it's been extremely helpful. It also helps to know I'm not the only person who is putting in countless hours of work. I know it will all be worth it.
Take care,
Mike
1987 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Twin Crusader FWC 454's
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Looks great Todd !

I wish I had used LED lights for the toggle switch "ON" lights in the dash - hope you decide to go that route.

Also, if you're not going to use those square faces for the gauges - I'll be happy to but the lot of them as I really prefer that look and have two that are cracked.

This project is going to yield you a brand new vessel with great performance and sea-keeping abilities.

Just remember - YOU CAN'T BUY A NEW ONE .............. ANYWHERE............................... AT ANY PRICE !

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I know a bunch were cracked i believe few were good. I'll check tomorrow and let you know what I have. Just pm me your mailing address Harris and I'll send you the good ones. its the least I can do for all the help and info you have given me! :D
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Harris,
I apologize but apparently my little amigo at the shop threw away the few good ones along with all the broken ones. I just found out today while I was looking for them. Sorry.
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Thanks for the effort :-)

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Well the struts are on, shafts are in and aligned. steering wheel is on, steering system is purged and working . pulled out the undersized , non marine 8ga wire that was run by the PO for the old windlass. removed all the old vinyl from the front stateroom. hooked up the battery charger and attached the leads to the batteries. secured all the wiring in the chases and put the covers on the chases, purchased a roll of 316 stainless metal strapping and made additional supports for the bilge blower hoses. had to move the battery box over 1 inch and move the wire looms supports to the top of the stringer to get the battery box lid to fit. mounted all the bilge alarm switches to the top of the bilge pumps, alarms are working properly.
If anyone has any info on these wire chases please let me know, I'd like to replace the covers.

Mike ,
with the two hoses (on each side) that attach to the intake boxes , one hose will be secured to the engine room bulkhead and stop just in front of the engines, the second hose will come down on the bulkhead and lay on the floor extending about half way under the engines. I have a bilge blower and two additional intakes behind each of the rear side covers. the blowers enter at the rear of each gas tank and are secured along the underside of the floor, they drop down just behind the fuel tank valves and go through two of the four holes on the generator floor platform, I ran one vent hose next to the blower hose and they go through the last two holes in the platform, the last vent will simply drop down and lay in the stern by the mufflers. my boat came with only one blower so I added a second and added another vent (starboard side only had one vent and no blower)

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea